Suited

Discussion about starting hands.

Moderator: Moderator

Pruchalk
3 star member

Playing suited cards

Postby Pruchalk » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:11 pm

Okay, bear with me while I think out loud...

I tend to be a limper with nearly any two suited cards (not usually 72 or 83, but you get the idea). And I know there are more out there like me. I understand the idea that if they are low cards, a flush isn't a sure winner...easily bitten by a bigger flush.

However... how many time have you mucked two crappy cards (regardless of suited or not) only to see that had you played them to the flop, you'd have a monster? It's happened to me about a dozen times over the past week (both live and online) with 47. I would NEVER play 47...even folded it suited live on Saturday because the blinds were getting too high to play crappy cards like that.

Okay, now...an arguement could be made that you should limp in with ANY two cards at any time "just in case"... After we've played a while, we come to the realization that you go broke in a real hurry seeing every flop, and start to be way more selective in what we play. But every so often...there's that hand that comes up, "If only I'd played those crappy cards..."

So...I look down and see two crappy cards...but they're suited! Lying to myself about the flush possibilities, I limp in...and every once in a while they hit!

My point is...we can't afford to see EVERY flop...but if we just play the suited ones to see the flop...we get a chance to catch something every once in a while that we wouldn't have ordinarily played.

Do my ramblings make sense?
Niiis1992
2 star member

Re: Playing suited cards

Postby Niiis1992 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:47 pm

Saxman wrote:
My point is...we can't afford to see EVERY flop...but if we just play the suited ones to see the flop...we get a chance to catch something every once in a while that we wouldn't have ordinarily played.

Do my ramblings make sense?

No, a crappy hand is still a crappy hand. Maybe if you are playing VERY low limit poker, hell I would see every flop. But any decent stakes, rags are still rags. Everyone has tossed 72 only to see the flop come 722. But that is extremely rare. The percentages are against these hands considerably. Being suited only makes them slightly better, but not enough to warrant calling with them.
Dientiong
5 star member

Re: Playing suited cards

Postby Dientiong » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:58 am

Saxman wrote:My point is...we can't afford to see EVERY flop...but if we just play the suited ones to see the flop...we get a chance to catch something every once in a while that we wouldn't have ordinarily played.

If you think this is truly a good way to play, you should conduct an experiment.  Keep track of all the money you spend chasing down flushes with inferior hands, and contrast that with all the money you win doing the same.  Your logic makes sense, but in reality, the math will prove otherwise.
Pruchalk
3 star member

Postby Pruchalk » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:01 am

Yeah, I was afraid I hadn't explained myself clearly enough...

I'm not suggesting that you play these hands in order to try to get a flush. It won't happen often, and when it does, they're very beatable flushes.

What I'm saying is, it's a chance to catch a ragged flop. I'm only talking about limping in this way...certainly not playing a raised pot. And it's only to catch the ocassional ragged flop...not to play just ANY two cards. The suited bit just restricts it to a bit less than 25%...still pretty high to be playing crappy cards, I realize.

I guess the other thing to take into consideration is how you play post-flop. I tend to be pretty aggressive post-flop...and seem to take down a fair number of pots by being aggressive. Tough to bet a flop aggressively if you've already folded...
Etonly
2 star member

Postby Etonly » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:02 am

I fold anything up to suited connectors or 9/J sutied or hgher
Wittionfer2
1 star member

Postby Wittionfer2 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:42 am

i limp in with any 2suited ards unless J 10 or betteer i raise. an example is today i limp in with 7 6clubs flop comes 3 4 5 all clubs hit the nuts.im 1st to act i check the guy behind me goes all in i call quickly and the guy has 5 5 in his hand so i give him a beat down.
Sultillort

Suited

Postby Sultillort » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:57 am

Only play suited if ure top cards a k or A
Theirthe
3 star member

Postby Theirthe » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:23 am

I tend to like suited connectors 9 10 and greater. Or 10 Q and up suited. These are decent hands preflop. Playing a lot of hands can break you or make you though but I think you should lay off the bad suited hands.
Frook1994

Postby Frook1994 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:11 am

its prefered to play high pockets or close suited cards ... or if you feel you guts -- shooooot ;)
Pruchalk
3 star member

Postby Pruchalk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:56 pm

Well, it's time to revisit my earlier thread...

After getting my ass kicked on a regular basis...I've changed up a bit the past few weeks. I'm folding a LOT of hands I would have played earlier...especially the suited cards. And funny thing...I've been a lot more successful, especially in the multis! I guess that's the sort of thing that these forums are good for...to learn and grow.

Thanks for those of you who disagreed with me a while back. I think it helped my game!

Return to “Starting hands”