i like

General discussion about poker.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheng1971
1 star member

How good is AK?

Postby Wheng1971 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Seems that everyone is moaning about getting beat with AK these days. Is AK overrated or is it just a case of misguided expectations? How do you play AK? I look forward to your replies.

DownUnderDog
Beform
2 star member

Postby Beform » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:01 pm

I posted to a thread about AK just last week.  Seems to be a popular subject lol.  

Here is how I play it from most any posistion.  If there has been no raises to me pre-flop I will make nice raise, maybe 4 to 5 times the BB.  In doing this I'm trying to get a heads up at the table.  If I get a heads up or 2 callers and hit a A or K on the flop I'm putting most if not all of my chips in the middle.  If the pot has been raised to me or reraised I will play it with more caution.  I have thrown it away if I have to do an all-in call preflop.  Especailly if I'm on the bubble of a MTT.

But that is just one situation of many.  You can't just say what you would do with it every time you get it.

MTT NL early on I will play it a little tighter.  It's a long tourney I don't want to loose all my chips before I see the 2nd  level of blinds.

MTT NL late in the game at the final table short stacked, all my chips are going in the pot.  Chip leader with 6 or 7 people left, then someone elses chips are going all in lol.
Comee1985
4 star member

Postby Comee1985 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:04 pm

AK is good as far as you play it good!
It looks but aint winning any tourneys!
Paracouls86
1 star member

i like

Postby Paracouls86 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:02 pm

i like A k but can only play as seen best at time of course i wouldnt go dumpin before flop thats just crazy but hey ya never know in poker eh!gotta love the game!gl
Suptand1976
1 star member

Postby Suptand1976 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:49 pm

A/K is the most over rated hand there is. Ask anyone who is out of a tournamnet or who just went broke in a cash game and they will tell you but I had A/K
Fropriat
2 star member

Postby Fropriat » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:48 am

As i just said with AK most ppl seem to over ply AK as well as AA in the same situations as most ppl  think its the nuts  lol

ty apphilivey00
Bours1966
2 star member

Postby Bours1966 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:30 pm

I think AK is fairly good hand but some people do tend to overplay it, acting like they've got an AA in their hand.  Still AK is a worthy all-in hand in my opinion.
Fienjouricen

Postby Fienjouricen » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:35 pm

i think that ak is the best starting hand
Buffecaper69
2 star member

AK

Postby Buffecaper69 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 pm

All i know is that it's going to take a HUGE buyin and an even bigger bet to get me to fold AK preflop.  Seriously it would have to be a huge bet from a tight player before I'd fold it.  I know ap likes to set people up more often than they should but i've seen AA get beaten by ak enough to take chances
ACEDUECE
1 star member

Postby ACEDUECE » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:55 am

A-K is a drawing hand plain and simple.It is absolute garbage in most cases if the flop comes blank.You just cannot continue to drive A-K after a blank flop and expect to win in no-limit freerolls and small buy-ins.You WILL GET CALLED without question by less skilled players calling preflop with any two will  do and after the flop if they get a piece.That is the nature of freerolls and small buy-in tourneys.In the bigger buyins against better players you might be able to pull a few moves with A-K after a blank flop.But don't expect some of the freeroll maniacs to lay down any piece of the flop when you try driving A-K after a blank flop.As far as moving in preflop with this hand it usually ends in a coinflip.Not exactly the situation your looking for in most cases.More money is lost by the newer player that refuses to release this hand after a blank flop than any other mistake in freerolls and small buyins.

Return to “General Poker Discussion”