MEAN SPIRITED AND I'M STUPID

General discussion about poker.

Moderator: Moderator

Wiffew
2 star member

MEAN SPIRITED AND I'M STUPID

Postby Wiffew » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:49 pm

Just played the Sunday tourney at Absolute.

Was down to the last 11 players.  

I finished 11th.

I was short-stacked and 2MUCHLUCK -- you know her -- she pulled the old poker lie and I fell for it.

I was big blind.  It left me with like 400 chips.  I had a 2 3
Flop was a 2 Q and something else.  She bet and told me to call cause she had nothing (but over 20k in chips).

I did.  She lied.  She had top pair.

I lost.

Point is.  She knew how close we were to the money.  Someone else went out in that hand too on the other table and what does 2MUCHLUCK do?  She goes to the final table and goes all in with a 2 6 because she wanted to leave I guess.  It just seemed mean spirited -- you had to be there to see it.

So she took me out knowing she was guaranteed money just to go all in the next hand and leave.

Moral I guess is never trust a poker player.
Pludenis
1 star member

Postby Pludenis » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:35 pm

No one you are playing against is there to help you.
Even if they seem to be honest, beware.  

Might just be gaining your trust to set you up for a fall later.  Often those players that show their cards some of the time are "telling" for a reason-want you to believe they don't bluff, so you will fold when they do, or that they do bluff, so you will call when they are not.

I don't know if what the player did was meant to be mean spirited or not.  It's possible they didn't really think you would believe them and meant it as a joke.

Remember, they are always your opponent, your job is to figure out their strategy and counter it.
Thernand
3 star member

Postby Thernand » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:17 am

Very well put.. Play your cards.. If you have a crap hand and make it through the blinds.. You will hit a better one within the next 4 hands (I assume with 10 players you guys were 5 and 5 until the merge).

Then dont limp.. PUSH! best case senario you get a fold, But even with a call you have a chance at doubling up.

There was an excellent article in todays paper by Daniel Negreanu on this topic.. If your in Toronto its in the sports section, If not you can check it out online at www.torontosun.com (well I assume thats their web site..lol

Return to “General Poker Discussion”