freeze out

General discussion about poker.

Moderator: Moderator

Exas1995
2 star member

freeze out

Postby Exas1995 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:06 am

can someone please help out a newbie and explain, in detail, what a freeze out is

thanks
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:44 am

It is a tournament where you cannot buy more chips after the start; i.e. there is no rebuy or add-on.
Jecrer
1 star member

Postby Jecrer » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:59 am

Exactly what snafusmurf said... but let me explain a bit more in case you dont know the terms being used.

1.  Rebuys - When a tournament allows rebuys, this means that for a fee, usually the entry fee minus the rake, you can "REBUY" all of your chips back if you should lose them all OR if you get below the starting chip count.  Many people like these tourney's, I do not.  Its a matter of preference.

2.  Add-On's - These tourney's allow 2 "Add-ons".  An Add-On also allows you to regain all of your chips  for a fee, same as above, but there is usually no requirement.  Many people as soon as they get a seat, will buy the first add-on, and during the break take the second add-on if they feel they need it (and can afford it).

Say you are allowed 2 "Add-Ons" in a game, many will take the first add-on as soon as the tourney starts, for 2 reasons:  1)  Increase Chip Count and 2) If they double up, well, you understand the math.  Usually the 2nd Add-On is taking during the break, the last chance to take advantage of it.  Usually there are NO Rebuys or Add-On's after the first break.

Just keep in mind that if you are playing a $1.10 tourney, and take 4 Rebuys and 2 Add-On's, you are now invested $7.10 into the tournament.

Please feel free to add to this post if I left anything out...

Ron
Chammat
5 star member

Postby Chammat » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:10 pm

i hate rebuys especially on absolute!! it takes usually 30minutes for 1 player to drop, i suppose the good things are after you have survived the first break

Return to “General Poker Discussion”