yeah

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Pruchalk
3 star member

Empty side pots

Postby Pruchalk » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:00 am

This has become my recent pet peeve, so I feel obligated to share...

In a tourney, when one player is all in, and has two or more callers...please, please PLEASE check around to the flop unless you have the absolute nuts!

Here's the rationale...the idea is to knock out the opposing players until you're the only one left, correct? Way too often I've seen it get checked once, and then someone with a weak or even no hand raise, causing a slightly better hand to fold. Then, the all in guy gets to triple up or better, instead of possibly being knocked out.

I'll admit...it took me a while to catch on to this. But I've got it now...and I really hope everyone else can learn this too! It's a solid strategy in tourney format...maybe not so much in a ring game.

So, please...don't be afraid to check!
Thernand
3 star member

I agree but...

Postby Thernand » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:24 am

was just ina final table tonight and the big blind was FORCED all in.. me and the other guys checked the flop.. but then I had str draw and flsh draw with my ace/10 so I bet to protect my hand.. ends up the BB had zip.. so the other guy folded and I took a nice pot.

I agree with you to a point.. But there are exceptions.
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:56 pm

I'm sorry but I disagree that there are exceptions.  You may have got lucky that time but 9 times out of 10 any raisers to a side pot put out the winning (or potentially winning) hand.

The whole purpose of being in a tournament is to make it to the final table and/or the money.  The more people in a hand the more chances of putting the all-inner out.

If you raise to a side pot and put the potential winner out of the hand you are not only helping the "loser" you are keeping yourself that one more person away from the money.
Pruchalk
3 star member

Postby Pruchalk » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:04 am

Thank you pokerprincess. The one exception I have found (and actually used today) is if you have the nuts. Then, bet away...and maybe take another one down. But otherwise, checking is indeed the way to go.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:40 pm

There's never going to be universal agreement on this.  For instance, even among those who advocate checking down, opinions vary as to when it's right to start.  On the bubble?  20 spots away?  50?  

And those who disagree can build reasonable scenarios.  For instance, if you're the runaway chip leader, it's not nearly as important to you to bust out the all-in person right now.  So raising with a draw to push the third player out of the pot could be considered in the big stack's best interest.
Saidence

yeah

Postby Saidence » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:43 pm

yeah thats wierd

Return to “General strategy”