Play it big

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Wopmetuand
2 star member

AA in the small blind with no calls

Postby Wopmetuand » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:33 pm

I was in an ultra turbo sit&go, five handed. I was in the small blind and was dealt AA. Nobody called before me, and I hesitated for a while whether to just call the big blind to make sure he'd play to see the flop, or to raise as usual with that hand. I raised and he folded.

So I won his blind, which was pretty decent sized at that point in the tournament, but I might have won more if I had slow played it and bet later. Then on the other hand, he might have had some marginal hand and just checked to see the flop and hit some magic card beating my aces.

There's no way to know what would have happened if I had slow played it, but in general, did you think I was right to raise there, or should I have slow played and let him see the flop for free, possibly getting some money out of him later in the hand?
Yountivell
1 star member

RAISE

Postby Yountivell » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:39 pm

minimum raise is probably the bet, most wudda thot u were tryin 2 steal his blind, if im the BB n sum1 does that 2 me 9/10 times i,ll re-raise from the BB, so other players might do the same, its always dissappointing not 2 win a "pot" with aces. :roll:
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:41 pm

What was the full situation?  Were you a short stack, medium or big?  What kind of read did you have on the person in the BB?
Wopmetuand
2 star member

Postby Wopmetuand » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:31 am

I don't remember really. I think we were both medium stacked, and I dont think I had any particular read on him. Those tournaments are so quick so I hadn't had the time to analyze him very much
Thernand
3 star member

AA small blind

Postby Thernand » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:10 am

You have to raise.. At least double the blind on the one on one.. If he doesnt call.. well the blinds will have to do.. If you give him the cheap flop and it comes 2-2-7 what then? say he had a free flop on his 2-7? lol
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:00 pm

It's really hard to say what to do in that situation.  You have to have a read on the people you are playing with.

However, having said that you also need to understand what strategy you are going to use with AA.  After all AA is only a pair (as in 22) after the flop.  If you want to try for more money in the pot and possibly lose to two pair then you just call.  If you want to be satisfied with catching the blinds to add to your stack then you raise.

Most times when the sb raises they are saying "I dare you".  If I'm bb and have AK I will usually call in a one on one but if I only have say pp8 I will fold knowing that more than likely they are raising with at least one Ace.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:23 am

PokerPrincess wrote:It's really hard to say what to do in that situation.  You have to have a read on the people you are playing with.

However, having said that you also need to understand what strategy you are going to use with AA.  After all AA is only a pair (as in 22) after the flop.  If you want to try for more money in the pot and possibly lose to two pair then you just call.  If you want to be satisfied with catching the blinds to add to your stack then you raise.

Most times when the sb raises they are saying "I dare you".  If I'm bb and have AK I will usually call in a one on one but if I only have say pp8 I will fold knowing that more than likely they are raising with at least one Ace.

You know I hate to disagree with you Princess, but I think, regardless of the situation, you HAVE to raise to the BB.  Letting him play for free is a huge mistake because "After all AA is only a pair".  I'd rather take his blind than let him catch some BS hand that costs me money.  I think checking in this situation is a complete mistake.
Crors1986
2 star member

Postby Crors1986 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:48 am

Need a big enough raise to run all the junk out of the hand. I usually take the easy way and just go all in. It surprising how often I'll have takers.
Iteress
1 star member

Postby Iteress » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:21 am

yes, as long as the blinds are still low and no BIG pre-flop raiz then i like to play a few low2 card hand...3,4/ 45/ 23/ or kinda any cards i got 2 of that can give me a good str8t shoot.. one thang i hate doing is calling them when they are suited tho.. i hate having the flush and it being low cuz then it seems like i almost have to play it throw even if i kinda now they have a higher one
Thernand
3 star member

This situation...

Postby Thernand » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:01 am

In this situation they were refering to only one caller the BB.. everyone else folded.. If you go (all-in) you wont get the call.. But you cant limp..

I agree with the play.. you  limp.. and he hits something big.. well you'll have a tough time throwing those aces away..
Rebt1987
1 star member

Postby Rebt1987 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:24 am

once i was in a 2 dollar no limit cash game and i had pocket aces. It wasn't in the sb but i raised the minimum and some guy goes all in. So i obviously call. He went all in with kings and caught a king on the turn. I was so mad. But on the river i caught an ace and was so happy. I bet that has happened to alot of people though.
Orneved
5 star member

Re: AA in the small blind with no calls

Postby Orneved » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:03 am

nowirehangers wrote:I was in an ultra turbo sit&go, five handed. I was in the small blind and was dealt AA. Nobody called before me, and I hesitated for a while whether to just call the big blind to make sure he'd play to see the flop, or to raise as usual with that hand. I raised and he folded.

So I won his blind, which was pretty decent sized at that point in the tournament, but I might have won more if I had slow played it and bet later. Then on the other hand, he might have had some marginal hand and just checked to see the flop and hit some magic card beating my aces.

There's no way to know what would have happened if I had slow played it, but in general, did you think I was right to raise there, or should I have slow played and let him see the flop for free, possibly getting some money out of him later in the hand?

the only time i go all in or raise AA in the hole when i am BB is if it already has been raised before it gets to me

eric

EDIT:  Fixed the quote to appear in box...gmroz22
Coveregs
2 star member

Postby Coveregs » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:51 am

slowplaying can often be costly in tournaments especially beginning of tournaments. i guess it's up to you if you want to risk them catching magic cards to beat your pocket rockets or not. i guess it's up to your own discretion whether you should raise or slowplay.
Kinglace
1 star member

Postby Kinglace » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:34 pm

yes
Kinglace
1 star member

Postby Kinglace » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:35 pm

no

Return to “General strategy”