3 of a kind

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Wopmetuand
2 star member

How to play with three of a kind on the board

Postby Wopmetuand » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:45 am

Earlier today I played on a microstakes table.

I got AA. Raised
flop comes 5-4-4

One guy bets, another raises. I call the raise as does the first guy who bet. I'm a bit worried someone may have a four or even two, that's why I didn't reraise.  

Turn comes 4

One guy raises, about 20xBB. I'm a bit worried he's got 4 fours, but I call, as does the third guy who's still in the hand.

The river comes J.

One guy bets 1xBB, I raise. Both guys calls.

I win the hands with the fours over Aces. The other guys had fours over fives and flush.

I won, but if I hadn't been so worried one of them might have the fourth four, I may have won more by raising more. How would you have played the hand, and how do you usually play when there's three of a kind on the board?
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:23 am

It's pretty difficult to tell what's going on at micro-stakes.  People bet, call and raise with almost anything.  On very general tendencies, however, quads simply don't happen very often, plus if the person does have them, they might slow-play or check-raise instead of raising 20BB.  So it's not certain, but my best guess would be that your full house is good.
Seessishe
1 star member

Postby Seessishe » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:09 pm

yeah you cant always assume one of the players has the quad.  especially if its low like a four or something.  id say your aces looked good.  of courst you have to consider if you raised the blinds out preflop
Thole1969
1 star member

3 better than 2

Postby Thole1969 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:30 pm

Personally once that 3rd 4 came on the turn I would be more confident of winning the hand. After the flop there are two 4's unaccounted for, anyone holding either is ahead of me. Once the turn comes only one card to beat you. Sure luck can be against you but I'd play it as if I had the winning hand.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:09 pm

In my opinion, you've got play this one down and hope for the best.  

Question one:  Would anyone have entered preflop with one 4?  Possible, but unlikely (but then again, it is microstakes).  

Question two:  Where is he seated?  If someone is playing a 4, they are either in the blind or sitting on a pair of them.  Since the latter is impossible, the only way I seriously put him on a 4 is if he is in the blind and lucked out.  If he is in late position, I take this as a stone cold positional bluff.

One thing that is always good to do in limit play (with a great hand and trouble on the board) is raise and wait for the reaction.  Especially if you are unsure of what your opponent has and think he may be bluffing.  By calling, you are keeping him in the hand and aren't gathering any info.  By raising, you are taking the role of aggressor and forcing him to react to you.  If he calls, I know I am probably in the lead.  If he reraises, I'd be willing to dump...but at least I got the info I was looking for.
Satere1966
1 star member

Postby Satere1966 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:02 pm

When the board has 3 of a kind the chnaces are that no1 has quads and depneding on ow th eplayer has played it you should have an indication. With aces you'll have the best possible hand.
Supponed
1 star member

Postby Supponed » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:44 pm

In my opinion, you've got play this one down and hope for the best.  

As Gmroz said, You pretty much have to call here. And he made a good point about somebody entering the hand with a 4. However that does happen. I still would have called all the way to the showdown because odds are, they are calling with a 5 or ace high... Just my thoughts.

~phenom34~
Hinown

Postby Hinown » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:25 pm

check/raise then reraise enough said
Drinnera
3 star member

Postby Drinnera » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:35 pm

you have to bet your butt off when you have a large pair and the board gets trips the chance of someone having that 4th card are slim to none.
Viser1980
1 star member

Postby Viser1980 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:48 pm

sj709 wrote:you have to bet your butt off when you have a large pair and the board gets trips the chance of someone having that 4th card are slim to none.

I disagree totally. You have to play the table not the hand, this is the most common mistake made by online players they see the cards and nothing else. First thing you have to notice is the type of players you have on the table, have they been calling with A and K high nothing? If so their is a good chance that they are in their with a possible 4. If it is a tight table how much did you bet preflop? If you bet over 5 times the BB you probably have only opponents with 2 Face cards involved, if you limped in with a minimal raise then you probably had the blinds call with anything, possibly a 4. Finally how big was your stack and what was your image? If you are top 2 in chips you usually hold a psychological advantage over your opponents to begin with and are given more respect as to what they call with. If your a short stack a big stack might call trying to bump you off with A or K high and 4 straggler.
Couser
3 star member

Postby Couser » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:57 am

i think i would ve played pretty much the same.depends on my chip count.you know they probably slow playing if they got quads.waiting on the rerasie.
Perear
1 star member

Postby Perear » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:59 pm

id say that u played it quite well. with the strength he was playin, u had every right to believe that he had a 4. the fact of the matter is had u not had such a strong hand in the hole, his betting technique most likely would have got u out.
Twithering
1 star member

Postby Twithering » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:38 pm

first of all, rockets can get u into danger into Aany hand, they might be the best starting hand but rarely the best finishing. So just watch how you play them.
Reak1974
3 star member

Postby Reak1974 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:57 pm

I,d bet it !! You may take a bad beat once in awhile(rarely) by the quads. So take advantage of the other 99% of the time your holding the winner. You will come out ahead in the long run !!  :)
Mrsexamme

Postby Mrsexamme » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:28 am

i always like it when i have a pocket pair and a pair comes up on the board.  I think u played it right safely

Return to “General strategy”