freeroll

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Wopmetuand
2 star member

QQ against all-in

Postby Wopmetuand » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:35 pm

I did a huge mistake recently in a freeroll at William Hill Poker. It was early in the tournament and I really didnt want to get beat out that early so I folded QQ when some guy went all-in.

Two other guys call. One guy with a bigger stack even raises all-in.

And what's the flop, if not Q-9-Q. All three guys that are all-in have Ax, and split the pot with pair of queens with ace kicker... I thought at least one of them would have AA or KK.

How would you have played?
I guess I was being a chicken folding that hand...
Chammat
5 star member

Postby Chammat » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:23 am

i would have thrown it all in at the ned of the day half the people in freerolls will go all in first hand with shit! so even with a couple of 6's or 5's id call!!! defin8ly shudda could with ure ladies no doubt!
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:27 am

How many people were all-in when you folded?  The second sentence makes it seem like only one, and two more called after you folded?  Is that correct?
Wopmetuand
2 star member

Postby Wopmetuand » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:24 am

Arjonius wrote:How many people were all-in when you folded?  The second sentence makes it seem like only one, and two more called after you folded?  Is that correct?

Yes, the guy to my right - we were in early position - went all-in. I had only slightly bigger stack than he did so I wouldn't be forced all-in, but almost. And I didn't want to take that risk. One of the two guys who called his all in even raised all-in, so had I called the first all-in, I would have been forced all-in by the second guy who went all in.
Seessishe
1 star member

freeroll

Postby Seessishe » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:03 pm

because this is a free roll you have to go all in.  if it was a real tourney you should maybe fold quieens to a lot of action preflop in bad position.  i have been broke many a time with the preflop all in against ak or a better pair
Sublaid
1 star member

Postby Sublaid » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:39 pm

I would never fold the 3rd best hand in poker preflop, thats just plain rude to the poker gods and they will smite you for it!!
Wopmetuand
2 star member

Postby Wopmetuand » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:14 pm

Today I called an all-in with QQ, the guy had AT, of course he got an ace on the river. ;)
Pruchalk
3 star member

Postby Pruchalk » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:08 am

Here's my QQ story...first hand of a sit n' go, QQ on the button. early raises, gets a caller, I re-raise. Flop comes 2 3 2...same thing happens, raise, I reraise, call. Turn is another 2...raise, I push all in. One caller folds, the other calls all in. Turns over A5 suited...and gets a fricking A on the river.

I still think pushing my QQ was the right thing...didn't figure anyone would have a hand with a 2 or a 3 would be in with reraises. Thought I might be beat by AA or KK, and so be it. But couldn't believe he risked it all on a gutshot straight draw. And this wasn't even a freeroll...

I don't rage on players for the way they play...but believe me, I was tempted!
Thernand
3 star member

QQ

Postby Thernand » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:03 am

Depens how your feeling.. But JJ and QQ are hands that always seem to lse to Ak suited or not... I played a real tournt and they doubled me up early last weekend.. Flop was low so I pushed on a decent pot.. Thanks God he had JJ.. Lol
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:14 pm

It is also quite possible that if you had raised to all in at that point that the others would have either folded or at least one of them would have and the raiser would probably not have re-raised you.

Just a possibility mind you, but in a freeroll that early in the game it is worth the chance.  You really haven't invested anything into the game and if you hit you have a nice stack to get into the rest of the game with.
Hodauld
1 star member

Postby Hodauld » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:35 am

since their was only one guy in front of you and you were to act first you should have called, QQ early in the tourny is a very powerful hand, if he goes all in preflop towards the beginning, chances are his cards arent all that great
Chammat
5 star member

Postby Chammat » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:53 am

hey poker princess u on absolute poker if so congrat on winning the super 1k freeroll at least i think it was you it was someone called l_pokerprincess i think i dont know but if it was u CONGRATS!!!!!!!
Tholonever
1 star member

Postby Tholonever » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:34 pm

I am going against the crowd on this one. I would fold. In big freerolls I will just watch the first 15 or 20 minutes and let the kamikazi players wipe themselves out. I don't know how many times I have been busted out early with AA, KK, QQ to someone that catches a straight or a set of 3s because the board paired 3s and they had crap in their hand like Q3. Not only to you avoid the early bad beat with this strategy but you get to see how everyone at the table plays and you establish yourself as a very tight player which can work to your advantage when you do start to play.
Whisextephy19892
2 star member

Postby Whisextephy19892 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:13 am

in these freerolls, you see so many people going all in with nothing!
pocket Q's? I would have gone all in. Sometimes you got to take that chance when you got a killer hand.
Laing1989
2 star member

Postby Laing1989 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:35 am

If it is a freeroll i will almost always play QQ... i might just call preflop though cuz every tom dick and harry will go all-in with A or K rag....

if it is a large # of entrants freeroll i will go all in on a whim at the start though.

Return to “General strategy”