lol

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Tifficust
2 star member

Heads Up Strategy

Postby Tifficust » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi All

I've been getting really into heads up play. Its soooo  much faster than SNGs or tourneys and i've been doing pretty well. I lose some of course but i win more than i lose and have come out on top.

I was wondering if anyone has any Heads Up strategy they'd be willing to share.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:16 pm

When I play HU SNGs, I play Pot Limit so that I don't have to worry about getting into an all in war with some of the idiots that sign up just to try and get lucky.  

Anyway, I always start out aggressive, to gauge what type of player I'm up against.  If they play back at me, I back off and try to make plays on them post flop.  If they try to be the aggressor, I slow down and look to trap them.  If they let me walk all over them, I start pounding.

One thing I have learned about heads up play is that you have to avoid calling.  Preflop, you should be raising or folding.
Tifficust
2 star member

Postby Tifficust » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I'll use that raise or fold preflop strategy.

I personally do play the NL heads up just for the possibility of winning fast.  One time i was on a roll and i played a $20 Heads Up SNG and i won the whole thing in the first hand.  :D

I've lost a lot and won as well but that one time was sweet.

If anyone else has advice please share.
Begroway
3 star member

Postby Begroway » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:48 pm

Heads up matches are very profitable. For the poker rooms that is. Due to the nature of heads up play you probably don't have a much better chance than 50/50 of winning and since they usually don't last too many hands the poker room makes quick tourney fees.
Tifficust
2 star member

Postby Tifficust » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:53 am

Thanks... but I'm talking about strategy, not odds or poker room profits.

If you have any stragey for heads-up please share.
Tifficust
2 star member

Postby Tifficust » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:53 am

Thanks... but I'm talking about strategy, not odds or poker room profits.

If you have any stragey for heads-up please share.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:34 am

Could be that Fubar's strategy is to avoid heads-up play.  :p
Thernand
3 star member

lol

Postby Thernand » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Good one!

I think everyone should be practicing there heads up play. Those cheap 1 or 2 dollar heads up matches are fun and great for learning the art. If you make alot of final tables Id strongly suggest the practice.

My stratedgy is simple.. Change your style.. Let him catch you raising with crap and limping in with monsters.. Confuse your opponent so he doesnt pick up your betting style.. raise on the nuts and sometimes check on them.. You maynever play this guy/gal again so be creative.

You can also use the classic tight conservative early in and lure him into a sense or security.. or the opposite show a wild side and tighten up when the blinds are big.. Whatever the case heads up is agression. Hand value changes obviously too.. If you play too tight he/she will eat you up.
Carray
2 star member

Postby Carray » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:42 pm

easiest way to play heads up is play very aggresive weaker with strong hands and stronger with weak hands but of course you must be able to fold
Tifficust
2 star member

Postby Tifficust » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Well I've been practicing my heads up play a lot lately and this is what i find to be the best.

first test your opponent to see what kind of a player they try out a few things like raise preflop or raise when a Ace hit the board when you don't have one.

But my most success full strategy has been to slow play big hands. If you have a monster and they have an ace, and you check the first time and a Ace comes on fourth street or the flop and you check again while they have hit the Ace (or other highest card on the board) then your opponnent will raise you nicely. If you just call. and check again then your opponent sometimes but not always will make a giant raise and then you reraise and boom!  you got it baby.

I find heads up to be very stimulating i've made massive come backs and i've lost too.

Another great thing i like to do that really get my opponents vulnerable is when i have 2:1 chip lead i'll try to bluff them and if i succeed i will show them my cards. When i do this they go on tilt because they're worried they're going to lose. More times than not i win.

But some days the winning cards just don't come to you no matter how well you play.
Chous1985
1 star member

Postby Chous1985 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:18 pm

the best stradegy is
first on small blinds to bluff...
after that - nice slowplay with all in....checked ;)

Return to “General strategy”