Easy Money

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Firep1983
1 star member

How to play the loose guy?

Postby Firep1983 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:15 am

I  generally have the problem that I have short cash but only NL tables are available in my city. This is a problem because I find all the time people that just keep playing like money doesn't matter and what is worst, they ussually get lucky. Is there anyway you think I can play against them succesfully?
Hond1976
2 star member

Postby Hond1976 » Fri May 26, 2006 2:37 pm

I think you should use traps and wait for a decent hand. When you got the nuts, put as much money as you can.

I personally don't like to play against people who don't care about the money. Try to find some people that play more tight and you will have a better chance.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Fri May 26, 2006 5:45 pm

One thing I've seen quite often is that people who say their opponents get lucky a lot aren't always as tight as they think they are.  For instance, they'll stick all their money in pre-flop with holdings like AQ, AJ or a small pocket pair.  If you do this, your opponents will outdraw you pretty often since you're probably a 60-40 favorite at best.
Niiis1992
2 star member

Postby Niiis1992 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:10 pm

Trap, Trap, and Trap. Let the maniac do all of the work for you. You flop a monster, let him bet, just call his flop bet, maybe just call his turn bet if its big enough, then raise him on the river. Very easy to play against these players. Just have to be patient.
Heith1968

Postby Heith1968 » Fri May 26, 2006 9:09 pm

trapping is a great idea, unless you have my luck lately!  I have used the trap many times, but the last couple times i have gone for it the fools have hit their flush or straight on the river.  

Either way its still the best way to get rid of them.  

good luck all
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Fri May 26, 2006 10:21 pm

Yep trapping is the only way and patience, patience, patience.  Definitely let the loose player bet the pots for you and you just call till the river.

The only problem with this strategy is that it will only work a couple of times and then they will be on to you and when you call they will just start checking so you have to play a few border line cards like AQ AJ from time to time just so you can keep them suckered in.

You have to play them but not to the point of all-in.
Comee1985
4 star member

Postby Comee1985 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:29 pm

My answer is patience, and when you get great hand, do NEVER, and I mean never discourage your loose friend to bluff away all the cash he has! Let him give you all his money!
Tionevilly
5 star member

Postby Tionevilly » Tue May 30, 2006 8:37 pm

Most say against a tight table play a little looser, and against  a loose table play very tight. Dont have to win many hands to come out a winner.
Gagoem
4 star member

Postby Gagoem » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:24 am

Playing against maniacs can be a double-edged sword.  While I like to be patient, and wait for them to "hang themselves", doing so can sometimes be a costly mistake.

For example:  Yesterday I was playing against an extremely loose player.  He or she was raising 6x, 8x, and sometimes even 12x the big blind pre-flop almost every hand.  Everyone would generally fold to this person.  I was waiting for an opportunity to take advantage of their style.

I had A's, and raised just the minimum to 300 (blinds were 75/150).  I was almost certain this opponent was going to make a huge raise, and I could then re-raise all-in over the top.  Instead, they just called.  The flop came Q 10 8.  I bet 450, and was re-raised enough to put me all-in (I had less than 2000 chips remaining- don't remember the exact amount).  I made an easy call- they had Q 5.  Through the turn, my A's were still good.  I could only lose on the river to either a Q or 5.  The river card was a 5!  I was eliminated from the tournament.

Looking back on this hand now, had I did the proper thing, and raised 3x or 4x the big blind, this person may have folded pre-flop.  Then again they were loose, so they may have called anyway.  However, the last thing you want to do is give your opponent an opportunity to outdraw you.  Especially when you give them that chance for a cheap price.
Amor1993
4 star member

Re: How to play the loose guy?

Postby Amor1993 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:58 am

sometimes when ur short there's just nothing you can do unless you get a really good hand to go all in with, being on the bubble too freaks me out lol

luckyshady wrote:I  generally have the problem that I have short cash but only NL tables are available in my city. This is a problem because I find all the time people that just keep playing like money doesn't matter and what is worst, they ussually get lucky. Is there anyway you think I can play against them succesfully?
Orpon1992
1 star member

Re: How to play the loose guy?

Postby Orpon1992 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:16 am

luckyshady wrote:I  generally have the problem that I have short cash but only NL tables are available in my city. This is a problem because I find all the time people that just keep playing like money doesn't matter and what is worst, they ussually get lucky. Is there anyway you think I can play against them succesfully?

yea, the easiest way is to stay away. if u dont have the bankroll to back u up, theres no point in getting in those games. start with small limit games and use those winnings to try ur luck in bigger limits
Daylloween
1 star member

Easy Money

Postby Daylloween » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:02 pm

I love those players who just go all in everyhand. If you have patientce you can make alot of money you just have to wait for a hand and hope it holds up.
Begroway
3 star member

Postby Begroway » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:00 pm

I think that Royalknight is right. Unless you have at least 100x the big blind you are probably better served by staying away. Try arranging a home game game with others that are more comfortable playing at the stakes you like or playing limit which you seem to prefer. Playing no limit with a much smaller stack than your opponents is suicide.
Oneins

Postby Oneins » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:57 pm

patience is the key and playing tight with a slight mixture of aggression just to keep them guessing

Return to “General strategy”