Omaha Hi/Lo strategy Plt Limit vers. Limit

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Blipt1984
1 star member

Omaha Hi/lo

Postby Blipt1984 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:23 pm

in omaha hi/lo.. do you think its best to raise with a low hand or just call bets?
Hertake
3 star member

Postby Hertake » Tue May 16, 2006 12:48 am

If you play on a ring table you should just call but in a tournement ......follow your instinct!!!

Good luck!!!!
Whictime
2 star member

Omaha Hi/Lo strategy Plt Limit vers. Limit

Postby Whictime » Wed May 17, 2006 9:28 pm

Well according to a book that I read on the subject, if you are playing PL, you never raise preflop, even with the best possible hand. You don't want to chase out your potential earnings before the flop. If you go all in most of the other players will fold. With Limit however, it is ok to raise preflop, because most players will pay one bet to see the flop. In fact with limit a lot of the players will chase down a hand to the river, not realizing that those 'one bets' add up, and before you know it you are pot commited. Omaha is not a game of how much you win in each pot, but how much you keep from loosing in each pot. "Know when to fold'm"!!! Those A2 combos can be in four different players hands at the same time, remember that. A :wink:  pot split in half and then in quarters, is a loosing pot.
Siand1979
1 star member

Postby Siand1979 » Fri May 19, 2006 4:45 pm

With wery low hand it is best to raise
Waime1984
1 star member

Postby Waime1984 » Fri May 19, 2006 4:53 pm

I found that with omaha hi/lo the low hand is where i usually earn my chips. A lot of times it seems players get so caught up with the high hand that they dont even pay attetnion to the low and thats when you get chips from all the people thinking they have the highest hand playing, so ya, bet.
Fropriat
2 star member

Postby Fropriat » Fri May 19, 2006 5:12 pm

Yea i won an omaha hi lo turny it was fun i really enjoyed it it didnt pay much but it was pretty fun.  i think i won like 70 bux off it
Whaviely
3 star member

Postby Whaviely » Fri May 26, 2006 5:34 pm

recently omaha tournaments are very common in the poker sites.i like especially hi lo omaha ..because winning is easier..i usually prefer to enter low hands
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Fri May 26, 2006 5:41 pm

aldisss wrote:With wery low hand it is best to raise

Not true, IMO.  Raising with the low only is a common mistake that new players make.  While the high hand is rarely shared, the low hand is.  Why raise the pot if you might be eligible for a quarter of it?  The only times I will raise with the low is in HU or short-handed play, or when I have a good chance of taking down the high side as well.
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Fri May 26, 2006 10:26 pm

I agree whole-heartedly gmroz.  Usually when you see big raises pre-flop it is because they have AA KK or QQ in their hand and they are going after the hi as if they were playing Hold'em.

Omaha is a game of str8s, flushes and fullhouses.  Not a game of hi pairs.  However, as gm says raising with the low hand pre-flop really doesn't make sense because you don't know if there will even be a low hand until after the flop and there will ALWAYS be a hi hand.

Return to “General strategy”