Understand player position

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Enuenated
3 star member

Understand player position

Postby Enuenated » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:34 pm

...and how it is critical. Not only is it important to play strong hands, it is even more important in what position you play them. For example, the ideal position is the Button (the Dealer), as you are last to act, and have the advantage of watching all of the betting action before you need to make a decision. eg. If the action before you consists of a bet, a raise, and a re-raise, and you hold a pair of Tens, you might think that folding is the right decision.
Oneins

Postby Oneins » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:06 pm

if i am left of the big blind and first to bet and have a pocket pair of nines or less i will generally only call the big blind and raise on the flop if the cards justify  with pocket tens or better i almost always raise
Whishavicale
1 star member

Postby Whishavicale » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:34 pm

it seems to me no matter what pos you are in (especially in early stages of a tournament someone will call and usually reraise, then move on to a horrid suckout.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:25 pm

m1elias wrote:it seems to me no matter what pos you are in (especially in early stages of a tournament someone will call and usually reraise, then move on to a horrid suckout.

Obviously, you should quit now.  Either that or come up with statistically significant empirical data to support what you're asserting, and then maybe we should all quit.  :p

Return to “General strategy”