Good point

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Ouseetteled
3 star member

Any ideas?

Postby Ouseetteled » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:02 pm

Last night in tournament had big stack bingo player at my table two hands he rivers me to catch a queen and take my chips.
First hand he had some decent cards but still got lucky and caught the river. holding AQ off I was the sb and held A8 suited 400 chips in guy raises to 1600 I have the most chips not the best hand but decent enough to check out the flop caught top pair off the flop Flop was 4s 8c 5h I hit top pair with best kicker I bet out 4,000 chips try and kill the straight chasers guy moves all in and catches his queen on river not the best play but it worked out for him. I was thinking no way does this guy have 76 he has to have 2 over cards and I was right. He lucked out and caught what he needed.

Second hand, against same guy is when I went out of the game. He had Q 6 off I had 7 J suited (dia) again small blind. I call the bb with no raises preflop. Flop was 4c 7h 3h I bet 2k guy just calls my bet I know he doesnt have anything. on the turn was a 3, I am like good got him the guy moves all in to buy the hand right like he has a 3 but I wasnt going for it. I called and fricking q at the river again and I was gone.  

I just wondering if others would just fold to this type of player or fight back and take the same chances? Even if it means getting short stacked or taken out of the game.
Famembady
1 star member

Postby Famembady » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:15 pm

Those are some tough beats but here are some of my opinions.  The first loss you probably shouldn't have called his raise especially since he had AQ.  Not only is he showing strength but he has the position advantage.  Too bad an ace didn't come up instead of the queen, you would have really had him.  You probably would have been really taken for chips if the flop had an ace.  The second hand sounds very similar.  If you were really low on chips then I can maybe see playing crap like 7 J suited.  You played the second hand right, assuming he was trying to represent the threes.  Remember he had only 3 outs to beat you with his Q 6.
Crivilt91
1 star member

Postby Crivilt91 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:03 pm

My advice is think about what you want out of the game, are you looking to stay involved and get to the money or win the whole thing - my style involves risk because i refuse to be left short stacked at any point nowadays
Thernand
3 star member

Good point

Postby Thernand » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:43 pm

I find too much slow play against a stack is allowing him to catch his card.. If you think you have the best hand pre or post flop.. Push it all in and make him decide if he wants to risk his chips on catching a turn or river card with nothing.. If he does call with two overcards and catches.. Well it a bad play on his part (unless he is pot committed) but bad luck on yours.. It was the right move and if you get busted.. youll have peace of mind it was the right move. Your there to win the tournament.. Show no fear.
Casere88

Postby Casere88 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:54 pm

i think it's showing that you played both hands right and even guessed right, but there is no garanties against bad lucky players,poker might cause a lot of frustrations,because luck is a great factor,we all get lucky once in a while,but what it matters is not that you lost the hand but that you played it right

Return to “General strategy”