Re: Wrong play?

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Ouseetteled
3 star member

Wrong play?

Postby Ouseetteled » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:14 pm

Question for everyone and would appreciate any input. I was playing in a 1000.00 Tourney ($5 buy-in freeze-out). Wasn't getting much in the way of cards so I waited for something to play was down to about 850 in chips and was dealt Pocket 7's blinds were 150/300 and I was out of position at a full table at Poker.com. Needless to say I went all-in pre-flop. Flop came 7, 2,4. So I flopped a set ended up Doubling up. My question is when i don't get much in cards is it correct to play Premium drawing hands pre-flop? Mainly i only play those when I'm in position AK,AQ,AJ,KQ,KJ.

Would appreciate any thoughts
Jdawg1142
5 star member

Postby Jdawg1142 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:24 pm

POKERSTER9 wrote:Question for everyone and would appreciate any input. I was playing in a 1000.00 Tourney ($5 buy-in freeze-out). Wasn't getting much in the way of cards so I waited for something to play was down to about 850 in chips and was dealt Pocket 7's blinds were 150/300 and I was out of position at a full table at Poker.com. Needless to say I went all-in pre-flop. Flop came 7, 2,4. So I flopped a set ended up Doubling up. My question is when i don't get much in cards is it correct to play Premium drawing hands pre-flop? Mainly i only play those when I'm in position AK,AQ,AJ,KQ,KJ.

When you aren't catching any cards don't get ancy and play a bad hand but  when your shortstacked then most wired pairs (pocket pairs) look good to push or any Ace x suited.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:34 pm

With 850 chips and the BB at 300, you're pretty much in a push or fold situation from any seat.  Since it seems you're in EP, which means the blinds will reach you soon and take over half your chips, pushing with 77 seems pretty straightforward.
Thertat
1 star member

Postby Thertat » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 pm

when playing on a short stack and not getting cards you gotta make your move.if not you probably get blinded out.
Honte1990
3 star member

Postby Honte1990 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:42 am

POKERSTER9 wrote:Question for everyone and would appreciate any input. I was playing in a 1000.00 Tourney ($5 buy-in freeze-out). Wasn't getting much in the way of cards so I waited for something to play was down to about 850 in chips and was dealt Pocket 7's blinds were 150/300 and I was out of position at a full table at Poker.com. Needless to say I went all-in pre-flop. Flop came 7, 2,4. So I flopped a set ended up Doubling up. My question is when i don't get much in cards is it correct to play Premium drawing hands pre-flop? Mainly i only play those when I'm in position AK,AQ,AJ,KQ,KJ.

if your stack is small just call and after the flop if  you want to fold ucan .you can raise on the turn or the river and if the flop is not good for u your still alive
Laire1982
1 star member

Postby Laire1982 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:25 pm

This is very good post I know that I myself sometimes have done the samething.  If you have been playing on the same table for awhile and not playing any hands sometimes players will notice and fold when you go allin.  The main thing is patence but yet if your not getting anything you getting way behind in the trny and that is not a good feeling when blinds are going up.  With blinds that high you really couldn't just call the blinds so pretty much if you played that hand you was going to haft to go all in so i don't think you played it totally wrong given the amount you had vs the blind level.

Return to “General strategy”