bullys

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Ouseetteled
3 star member

Bullying

Postby Ouseetteled » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:11 pm

I know that most of us hate people at a table that have such a big stack they can make a pot so high preflop that no one will call them. I know it gets me on tilt after the fourth or fifth halfway decent hand that would put me all in. Especially when there are only a few more people to go before getting into the money.

My question is, is this a legitimate tactic to use if your stack is 2 or 3 times everyone else at the table? I know it's annoying, and won't make you a very popular player, but at the same time, most of us are playing to win correct?
Pruchalk
3 star member

Postby Pruchalk » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:46 pm

It's of course legit (and one I wish I had the opportunity to play more frequently, darn it!). I look at it as a privelege earned by amassing a big stack. The thing to take into consideration is HOW they got their big stack. If it was crazy all in calls that got lucky...they likely won't be big stack for long. You WANT them to force you to get all your chips in the middle when you have a premium hand and they have crap. True, we get sucked out once in a while...but more often we get doubled up.

If they amassed their big stack by smart, tight play, and taking advantage of a monster hand...good luck. They're going to be tough to overcome.
Fropriat
2 star member

Postby Fropriat » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:38 am

Yea there is alot of bullying at the tbles most of time u just got to have a stack to outlast all the bullying that goes on during the course of tournament or live cash game w/e it might be

ty apphilivey00
Iniently
1 star member

Bullying

Postby Iniently » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:02 pm

This is the part of the game that I like to be honest. Being able to drive players allin looking for cards and then put them out. It's good when your big stack trying to put players out but don't think it's your job just because you got a few chips. :s  :h  :c  :d
Laire1982
1 star member

Re: Bullying

Postby Laire1982 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:17 pm

POKERSTER9 wrote:I know that most of us hate people at a table that have such a big stack they can make a pot so high preflop that no one will call them. I know it gets me on tilt after the fourth or fifth halfway decent hand that would put me all in. Especially when there are only a few more people to go before getting into the money.

My question is, is this a legitimate tactic to use if your stack is 2 or 3 times everyone else at the table? I know it's annoying, and won't make you a very popular player, but at the same time, most of us are playing to win correct?

This tactic is legitimate and often you see this done.  I myself love to be on table with bully because to me it's guaranteed chips.  I often find myself being small stack when reaching the final table only to quickly become large stacked because of aggressive players who call anything trying to take an opponent out.  Now if you go allin against these type opponents after they have raised real high you know they haft to call you.  So don't ever count on them to fold or try to steal there blinds with a bluff because you will get called most the time.  When you get a good hand it's often a guarantee that they will call though.  I would much rather be on table with this type of large stack vesus a chip stack who plays tight and waites for good hands.  Thats often why you see large stacks go from chip lead to broker real fast because once you hit there stack a couple times it puts them on tilt lol.  good luck all
Guly1972
1 star member

Postby Guly1972 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:28 pm

i love being the bully , usually means you have a monster chip stack, and  some people even say it the bullys job to make people  pay to play pots and not limp in with junk or mediocre hands  hoping to catch a hand and survive. like dj said , if you play a hand  and raise when shortstacked ,expect the bigstack will call with  sometimes any cards to eliminate you.
Eappy1967
3 star member

Postby Eappy1967 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:15 pm

the people who get there stacks big by playing, rther than alling and catching  know when to bully, and its hard to catch THEM, but the ppl who inherited their stacks by all inning preflop, theyre the ATM machines of the poker world
Therinceple
2 star member

Postby Therinceple » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:18 pm

It's a legitament and standard tactic.  If you're an average stack it can be a bit of a pain to deal with.  If you're short stacked, it's nice to have a reliable agresive player at the table.  You know you will get paid off when you hit a big hand.
Sandid1975
2 star member

Postby Sandid1975 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:56 pm

bullyingisstupid, its not the right way to play tothegame,  ask   75% of pros and they will agree
Boxylisher
1 star member

bully me

Postby Boxylisher » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:16 pm

personally, if someone has the chip lead, they should use those chips to bully people out of their blinds. I love bullying people and i love playing against very aggressive people.
Insch1979
2 star member

why not

Postby Insch1979 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:24 pm

i dont see why bullying would be a problem. If you are at a table and can feel you can push most of the people around why wouldnt you. this only works until someone grows a set
Frook1971
4 star member

Postby Frook1971 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:30 pm

It is very common for the big stack to keep attacking. The big stacks cards don't really matter because they know that most people at the table can't call short of AA or KK.

Stealing, at the the bubble stage, is a primary weapon and must be used.
Romed1971
1 star member

ya i think

Postby Romed1971 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:36 pm

i think that would work if u were a loser...u have to beable to mix up ur game and not only bully

if u do that then ull be able to win more pots and when you are bluffing they are going to thing you actually have somthing
Youstand
3 star member

Postby Youstand » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:42 pm

I once had AK pockets, then AK, then AK again.
what is this i can't belive it.
poker is good.
Thernand
3 star member

Postby Thernand » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 pm

shoresstunna wrote:bullyingisstupid, its not the right way to play tothegame,  ask   75% of pros and they will agree

I tend to dis-agree.. Sure maybe 75% of the pros say so.. But we ARE NOT PROS. Online poker is alot different then live... And anyone who out there who makes final tables knows you'll be on both side of the coin. Personally I dont bully with a big stack because I want to win the tournament.. I may pick my spots but generally I want the short stacks to gamble against each other and assure me of a greater cash prize.

Return to “General strategy”