Re: your opinion

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Coldingaze
2 star member

your opinion

Postby Coldingaze » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:30 am

As im stil a learning this game i need some input from some more seasoned players I'm down to final 3 get A5 low stack goes all in I figure it doesn't cripple me but would take half my chips and chip leader has about 20% more than me already so I call he has pocket 5's I draw the Ace and he gets real nasty says im stupid and dont know how to play I figured it was a good call am I wrong or is he just being a ____
colleen
Deace1973
3 star member

Postby Deace1973 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:52 pm

I think that  you  had every right to call him down. Bottom line any Ace heads up is a strong hand

(am saying heads up as at this stage of a comp unless the 3rd player has an absolute monster he will fold and hope you can take the ither guy out as if he calls with something weak he risks trebling him and making it a 3 horse race again)  

just the same as gis pair is a strong hand. But he is wrong to complain as he wanted a call and was at best 50/50 against any 2 overcards, as it turned out his odds were better than if you has called with 6 8.

ANd well done getting into that position to have that decission to make.  :D
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:35 pm

Playing short-handed, as you were, means that most of the starting hand requirements go out the window.  A-anything is a strong hand this late in the tourney but you want to be the aggressor and not the caller.  He was wrong to berate you but there is a tiny lesson to take away from this.....

His argument is that you would put half your stack on the line with A5...a weak hand to call with.  By calling his all in, your call was most likely going to be a 3-outer.   Meaning that, he is either on a pair or AX himself.  If he was on AX, X > your 5, which you'd have to pair in order to beat his unpaired X -OR- you'd be up against a pair > 5 and you would have to hope you hit one of your remaining 3 aces to win the hand.

I don't know if this guy was trying to steal blinds a lot and this was your way of saying "Let's see it" or if weaker hands were taking down lots of pots, and A5 made a lot of sense to call with.    

In short, I see why he questioned the call....but that doesn't give anyone the right to call you names.  Don't take this as criticism, because its not.  I've made calls in similar situations with less.  It's simply my thoughts on went went down and why he was upset.

-Gary
Begaind
2 star member

Postby Begaind » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:54 pm

I would have called that hand especially just two of you. Don't let his remarks get to you.....afterall, you beat him  :wink:
Laire1982
1 star member

Re: your opinion

Postby Laire1982 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:41 pm

colbear wrote:As im stil a learning this game i need some input from some more seasoned players I'm down to final 3 get A5 low stack goes all in I figure it doesn't cripple me but would take half my chips and chip leader has about 20% more than me already so I call he has pocket 5's I draw the Ace and he gets real nasty says im stupid and dont know how to play I figured it was a good call am I wrong or is he just being a ____
colleen

Hey colbear hun:  I figured I would reply to your post here also,  I haft to agree with everyone here and also say that while AX heads up is pretty good hand to put half you chips online with A5 being the caller was to risky.  You took a big chance of doubling the short stack up and putting yourself a small stack.  I myself play pretty tight and prefer to try and let the big stack take out the small stack unless I'm given a good hand to take the chance on.   Also if you was playing a trny that paid more for 2nd then it did for 3rd you don't want to risk going out in 3rd.  Even though this wouldn't of put you out it would of made you small stack and then you would haft to play more aggressive and take more risk.  I just don't think that your call was justified but there still wasn't any reason for the guy to get rude.  He went all in with a hope of a coin flip at best and got even better odds then a coinflip that was the best call he could hope for and he lost.  Keep up the good work hun I know your new but your also a good player.
Confled
3 star member

Postby Confled » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:50 pm

You were 100% right DJ. It was a good call, the only stupid one there was the other guy in thinking that if he went all in no one has the right to call him,everyone has a different style of play, you made the right choice.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:24 pm

It's not a horrid call, but not great either.  The situation is that you're
- well ahead vs. A2, A3, A4
- slightly ahead vs. two cards above 5 and below A
- slightly behind vs. 22, 33 or 44
- well behind vs. any pocket pair 5 or higher, any A with better kicker

Overall, you're behind more times than you're ahead.  You do have the chance to put the small stack out, but more often than not, you'll switch places.

Return to “General strategy”