Re: close your eys

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Ouseetteled
3 star member

close your eys

Postby Ouseetteled » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:03 pm

In online Poker I have learned you just have to close your eyes and pray.  Too many styles of play too think too much.  Especially in freerolls.
Bedingled
1 star member

Postby Bedingled » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:01 pm

I'm with you...its getting to that point for me. You have this style and that style...i play poker style. If i hit i hit. If i don't i don't. Isn't that how you play poker??? If i have a good starting hand i play it, if i don't i fold...I have never read any books or anything...maybe just peoples input to forums on poker. But i think i do okay. I lose some i win some. And i learn each time i play, and enjoy myself....okay sometimes i want to put my fist through the computer..... :lol: But i really get a kick out of people when i take a big pot and they say things like, "well i had the pot odds". Good for you i think, but you don't got the pot..... :wink: So i too have decided that strategies are just a little overated...
Beform
2 star member

Postby Beform » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:20 pm

I recently found a place to play live.  $22 entry fee and normally 35 people in it.  The next time I go to play online after one of these tournys I just cringe.  Playing online is nothing like the real thing.
Syle1966

Postby Syle1966 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:29 pm

i've played better while i wasn't paying attn than sometimes when i am, maybe i should close my eyes more often lol
Deace1973
3 star member

Postby Deace1973 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:52 pm

I tend to play my best poker when playing on multiple tables that way I am less likely to call with mediocre hands.
Begroway
3 star member

Postby Begroway » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:24 pm

I never even try to figure out what the other players are doing until I get to the final table because 9 times out of 10 they don't know themselves. Playing multiple tables is also the way I get the furthest.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:34 pm

Saying that your best strategy is to close your eyes and pray is like saying I give up.  Yes, freerolls are a lot different than money tourneys, but you still need to use skill and solid play to win.  How often do the all-inners (that are the early chip leaders) make the final table?  Almost never.  It's the solid players that make good decisions and outplay people later in the tourney that make the money.  The key early on is to play premium hands and not go all in preflop without AA.  Going all-in with AK or AQs is a HORRIBLE move and I know people bitch about getting called by J4os and losing, but the bottom line is: AK and AQ are not all-in hands.  They are drawing hands.
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Very well said gm.... You have to pay attention not only to what your cards are but also to what the table has been giving up.  For instance I have played in many a game where people chased after the flushes and for almost the whole tournament not a flush was made.  In this case why would you both to chase a flush with a 78.  If  you have Ak suited yes it is worth a try because you could run into top pair, two pair or a straight.

In other words paying attention and thinking about what you are playing is important.
Insch1979
2 star member

amen

Postby Insch1979 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:34 pm

you see so many different people its hard to get a good read on the action. and just when you think you know the table you get moved
Tionevilly
5 star member

Postby Tionevilly » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Easy to get upset at freerolls these days with the all-inners and calling stations. But you have to remember, when and if these people get to the end, the only way they win is if they are extremely lucky. If your patient enough eventually you will get thier chips.
Housight
3 star member

Re: close your eys

Postby Housight » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:49 am

POKERSTER9 wrote:In online Poker I have learned you just have to close your eyes and pray.  Too many styles of play too think too much.  Especially in freerolls.

well now I have finally been able to label your style of play....
Coveregs
2 star member

Postby Coveregs » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:07 am

haha that is true. if you have a gut feeling go with it =) especially online freerolls, you can win with absolutely anything. and chances are you're going to be putting it all in preflop calling a fish.

Return to “General strategy”