pot odds

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Tank
5 star member

first AP Challenge

Postby Tank » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:41 pm

I am in my first one, is this going to be like the rest of the freerolls at AP where 1000 people are gone in the first 30 min or is this going too be a little tighter, guess only time will tell. I am still tring to install this "pot odds thing" into my memory banks I think I understand the theory behind "outs" (how many hands are there that can beat me) or (how many cards are there too "hit my Hand" its factoring in the beting (is my bet going to be over or under the "risk vs reward thing" if some one can explain it for us non-pros
Sages1989
3 star member

pot odds

Postby Sages1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:31 pm

yea i got that too. great resourse.

however i´m not the one to explain it.

i´m just trying to get a handle on the

most typical situations.

like flush and straight draws.

so what kind of pot odd would one

need say for two over cards??

you have jq,

in fojr the big blind,

flop 2, 6, 9

can we call with a mim. bet?

how many players needed to make the call?

thanks if anyone can help.

donvic

never could figue this one out.
Wople1976
1 star member

Postby Wople1976 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:18 pm

ok here's how I calculate pot odds (this isnt necessarily the only way)
when the action comes around to you, see how much the bet is that you must call to stay in, and divide this number by the size of the pot (i just keep the fraction in my head, then simplify and round it to a nicer number). Next, you must figure out the odds of hitting your draw. Take the number of cards in the deck that will help your hand (6 "outs" for hitting a j or q as overcards, 9 outs for a flush draw), double the number of outs and add one. This is the % chance of hitting one of your "outs" on the next card. (6 outs * 2 = 12 + 1 = 13%) You can now do one of two things: convert the fraction you calculated earlier to a percent, or convert the percent you just calculated to a fraction. Compare the two numbers. If the first one (the pot odds) is a smaller number
than the chance of hitting the draw, then you go right ahead and call the bet.
I know this is a lot of work and math but its pretty easy after a few times. Hope this really long post helps!

Return to “General strategy”