always check?

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Fary1975
2 star member

great strategy that works every time....can u see the logic?

Postby Fary1975 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:42 am

whatever your hand may be always CHECK if you have a good hand (unless you are last to act).........let me tell you the pros of this strategy.......if your holding a huge hand and you check it it gives the other players a chance to bluff at the pot so you can raise them and make huge profits.......your probably thinking what if i check my NUTS full house and the other guy also checks and everyone at the table thinks you're an idiot for checking.......well guess what you're not b/c chances are if he didn't raise when you tried to check raise him than he probably would've folded anyways if you had bet.....therefore that is why this strategy works most of the time......
Syclee
1 star member

Postby Syclee » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:17 pm

I hate slow playing hands i just played in a live game, turned my flush check, and so did the other player, river paired the board, lost to a full house.

Im a fan of a check raise, but checkin all the way through isnt my favorite, allows ppl to catch too many cards
Sages1989
3 star member

call ???

Postby Sages1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:14 pm

ph 11,

yes that is good move with realy good hand. calling.

however, your not talking about high pair

are you?? better with flush, full etc.

is that what you mean??

dv
Allagarl1972
1 star member

Postby Allagarl1972 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:42 pm

slow playing works well as you state when your near last to play in the round, but you must also take into consideration the state of flop, possible run flush etc, many times i have a middle pair which has either been top card in the flop or just in my hand, i would then slow play it depending on my table position and state of flop to pick up what i can, of course can be dangerous if someone holding higher pair also slow plays, but i find i win around 70% of time using this method.
Tepateady
1 star member

i agree

Postby Tepateady » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:51 pm

i do this all the time and it does work. either they fold out to u or call u and you get the extra chips. only thing i do different is that i will bet the river no sense in losing a bet, if he folds so what.
CE
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:42 am

No way.  You have to make it expensive for people with lessor hands than you to draw out.  If you are playing AQ and a guy calls the blind after you with KJs.  Do you really want to check a flop like AK4?  For one thing, you are keeping a guy in the hand that doesn't belong, and second, you could be losing out on your earning potential. Your strategy is usually referred to as "fancy" by Caro.  You try to do too much with too little.
Etonly
2 star member

Postby Etonly » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:23 pm

I disagree, checking hte nuts is good... but if they bluff the pot....simply take a LOOOOOONG time (maybe talk and say... hmm, I want to call I'm on a draw etc.)  then simply call.  The next card probably won't be the one you "need" (though you already have it)  so he will stab harder, and you'l simply call, and on the river, when he bets, you raise that way you suck him for 3 bets, rather than having him fold after 1
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:44 pm

masteryertle wrote:I disagree, checking hte nuts is good... but if they bluff the pot....simply take a LOOOOOONG time (maybe talk and say... hmm, I want to call I'm on a draw etc.)  then simply call.  The next card probably won't be the one you "need" (though you already have it)  so he will stab harder, and you'l simply call, and on the river, when he bets, you raise that way you suck him for 3 bets, rather than having him fold after 1

If you are talking about playing the nuts, sure.  If you are talking about playing a good hand or strong hand, slow playing is a bad idea.
Husafter
1 star member

agree

Postby Husafter » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:23 pm

accept if you got the nuts then it is retadred
Tionevilly
5 star member

Postby Tionevilly » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:54 am

You cannot play this way all the time in my opinion. Once you start playing alot of freerolls you will run into the same people everywhere. Change your game up sometimes. If you play the same all the time people will pick up on it IMO.
Mignate
1 star member

Postby Mignate » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:35 am

i agree that you really have to change it up as you encounter the same people.you just know their takin notes and frankly so am i so adding a twist to your game will keep your"followers" of guard
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:15 pm

I too agree that you have to change up your game.  The only way the slow play will be successful is if they haven't seen it done by you much.  Otherwise, the minute you check/raise they will all fold thinking that "here he/she goes again".  That is not the way to build your stack or take people out.
Tirs1969
1 star member

always check?

Postby Tirs1969 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:36 am

as far as preflop, i generally like to raise a monster hand. get all the small fish and chasers out of the way and let the big guns play. besides, the flop has a way of turning big cheese hands into melted butter.

Return to “General strategy”