any suggestions:
Whings
2 star member

Postby Whings » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:27 pm

Make sure you have the nuts  :D
Spoemand2
1 star member

Postby Spoemand2 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:22 pm

Wait until you have a decent hand, and bust him!
Theirthe
3 star member

Postby Theirthe » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:50 am

Dont call him unless you have a really good hand. Cause if you call with A Q and he has 2 7 he aint far behind. Wait till you get a high pocket pair i suggest.
Loppor
2 star member

Postby Loppor » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:27 pm

Try and get him on tilt! Don't let him get you on tilt.
Aree1996
3 star member

yes

Postby Aree1996 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:54 pm

just wait until you have a good hand, check and smooth call until the river and when he bets raise a very large amount
Asted1978
2 star member

yup wait

Postby Asted1978 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:02 am

yup I wait till I get good hand,like high pair of AK,AJ
Mosticen
1 star member

Postby Mosticen » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:44 pm

Get a premium hand and call for the flop....if the flop fits, slow play him. It'll only work the one time, so make sure of just 2 things:
1. You actually have flopped the nuts.
2. Get as many chips out of him as you can, which usually means let him do the betting for you and don't go allin on the river...make a nice bet, but one your sure he'll call.

If your lucky, your now the chip leader and take advantage of that fact and be the bullly yourself.
Inquen
1 star member

time

Postby Inquen » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:42 am

you need to take your time and hit when the cards are there. lots of the time someone else will do it for you. :wink:
Slarpon
1 star member

poker

Postby Slarpon » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:16 pm

if you start with the better hand you are gonna win in the long run...hold in there buddy! everybody who plays good poker feels your pain
Slarpon
1 star member

hands

Postby Slarpon » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:18 pm

think i would definately put out a big raise pf with ak otherwise people who you dont want might be sticking around. lets say i have Q-J and you put out a small raise i would probobly call and if i hit the flop and you didnt then you would be far behind. just my suggestion though
Restong
2 star member

Postby Restong » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:00 am

be a pussy and sit out till you geta new table. thats what i do sometimes. when i actually want to win i do what all these other people do. just try to avoid him as much as possible
Gagoem
4 star member

Postby Gagoem » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:24 am

I dealt with a situation like that tonight; an opponent in the tournament I was in had 40k chips to my 8k.  He wouldn't let me see a flop without committing 25% or more of my chips.  So what did I do?  I just sat back and let him pick others off one by one.  I got all the way to the final table, and because I resisted my urge to battle with him, I got much farther then I would have otherwise.

That's not to say I wasn't dying to double up against him  :lol: ; I just resisted my temptation.
Cordes
2 star member

Postby Cordes » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Rambo is a very good patient player.  It is very tough not to want to teach him a lesson, but if he is big stacked, he can afford it.  If your short stacked you cant.  Patience grasshopper.  Wish I could heed my own advice sometimes.
Gagoem
4 star member

Postby Gagoem » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:31 am

Well said.

It's one of the hardest things to do sometimes.  To resist your temptation to battle with someone.  I get especially frustrated when I battle my way to a final table (I think once you get to a final table, the gloves should come off, and your sole purpose- regardless of how many chips you have- should be to try and win the tournament), and see 1 or 2 (if not more) opponents just sit there and hope they can work their way up the money (I'm referring more to buy-ins than freerolls).  

I have a term for this competitive nature I have, and how it more often then not backfires on me.  I call it "leaving money on the table"; I do it quite a bit sadly  :cry:

I was playing in a tournament yesterday, and there were 5 of us (including myself) left at the final table.  The pay scale for this tournament was as follows: $26.50 for 1st, $21.20 for 2nd, $15.90 for 3rd, $10.60 for 4th, and $5.60 for 5th.

There was one opponent who had but one goal- to finish as high as he could, and therefore win more money.  I'm intelligent enough as a poker player to realize this (I see it frequently), and it became so obvious to the other 4 of us, that I expressed to that person how disgusting I thought it was.

I normally keep my comments to myself, and don't let others know they got the best of me.  What he said a hand or two before I confronted him left me no choice but to express how I felt about him and others like him.

This opponent had fewer chips than I did, and I calculated (based on the blinds, and when they were due to increase) when this opponent would be eliminated (if he failed to act or didn't win a pot).  I was in the big blind (he was to my left), and the button raised enough to put me all-in.  The small blind folded.  I had A Q os; a hand that I would normally take my chances with.  In this case, however, I knew this opponent was praying I would call; it would guarantee him another $5 if I was eliminated.  He had no intentions on playing unless he was forced to, and the blinds were so high, that this would occur in the next couple hands.  I typed out "I would normally play A Q here, but I'll wait).  This guy FLIPPED OUT, was criticizing me for doing exactly what he had been doing from the moment we all made the final table.

At first, I decided not to say anything, but then I realized that it was the perfect opportunity for me to express the way I felt about people like him, and how they go into conservative mode (when they should be all the more aggressive) once they make a final table.  I said how my ideologies were different than his; that I PLAY TO WIN a tournament, and that people like him play TO WIN MORE MONEY.  He didn't question this either.

He was eliminated a hand or two later, and even though I finished 4th (winning $10.60), I took a lot of pride for expressing the way I felt about those types of players.

I look at it this way-  you should try to win the tournament- not more money.  And if you think about it, you're going to WIN MORE MONEY if you try to and are successful winning it then you'd ever be just trying to survive.

I should also explain something about the post I made before this one; referring to how I just "sat back" and let this "bully" pick off opponents one by one.  I was conservative in that tournament trying to to make the final table (and guarantee myself $30 instead of $15), but once I did so, my goal was simple- I was going to do everything I could to win.  Had I decided to continue being conservative, I'm certain I could of won $10 or $20 more dollars ($75 for 4th, $65 for 5th, $55 for 6th).  However, I would much rather lose out on $10 or $20 dollars to win the tournament (the $250 for 1st place would have been ok too  :wink: )

Return to “General strategy”