Pockets

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Heiset70
1 star member

Spotted Pocket Pair

Postby Heiset70 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:43 am

Anyone know the better way  how to spot pocket pair that someone hold ?
I lost many because of this, regarding check raise strategy and i thought have 2 pair or better hand  :(
Alicibuse
1 star member

Postby Alicibuse » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:40 pm

I can't really tell you how to accuratly put your opponents hand on a pocket pair.  The strategies involving pocket pairs vary greatly, and not just person to person.

I personally will do any check, fold, or raise with a pocket pair.  All depends on what I think of the my opponents (also, variation in strategy keeps your opponent guessing on how you play).  

Beyond my own strategy with them, the pros always say to get in the flop as cheap as possible with pocket pair, and fold if you don't get a set.  Some people play this way.  There are a lot of people that will raise heavily preflop with any pocket pair, hoping to knock off any unpaired overcard hand.

In conclusion, a big raise preflop will often mean a pocket pair.  The sly cheap player, who follows the pros suggestion, is harder to catch.  But that's why he's dubbed as the sly player. ;)
Ouseetteled
3 star member

Pocet Pair

Postby Ouseetteled » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:38 am

A big pocket pair usually puts in a big raise pre-flop.  The smaller pockets pairs are harder to spot.  Some just call the BB and wait to see the flop and gope to hit a set. After the flop if a big  bet comes out;  FOLD!
Thernand
3 star member

Pockets

Postby Thernand » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:02 am

I dont play alot of ring games.. But happened to play a few hands tonight. I had 4-4 at the button and was allowed to limp in with it.. I catch my set on the flop (rainbow) And someone puts this huge raise out scaring the table off but me.. I Knew he wouldnt bet so big on a set so his next raise I re-raised.. he called and I bet my last 2 bucks before the river.. he was chasing a straight and I doubled my cash.

Low pockets can be sneaky if you can get in for cheap.

Return to “General strategy”