Pot Odds VS Action

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Alicibuse
1 star member

Pot Odds VS Action

Postby Alicibuse » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:24 pm

First, before I start this, let me define these two things so we are all on the same track for descriptions.

Pot Odds is the way to describe the ratio between your bet, and the total pot.  Example: The bet is to you for 10 chips, and there are 60 chips in the pot.  This is 6:1 pot odds (your betting 1 chip, to win 6).  Pot odds are handy when you compare them to your winning odds.  If you are holding AK, and you figure the other guy has pocket pair (or worse) your winning odds are about 1:1.  6:1 is much higher than 1:1, so this is a good bet to take.  However, if your still on a flush draw after the turn, your winning odds are only 10:1.  Thus, 6:1 pot odds would not suggest you should bet on that draw.

Action is simply that.  Players in the pot, ready to see the next community card to be dealt.  The more players in the hand, the more action there is for that hand.  Usually, you want less action.  If you're playing against 4 players, the chance that someone will hit their hand is much better than when playing heads up.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, here's the problem.  Action makes for better pot odds (more players in the hand means more money in the pot for the same bet).  So my question is, when do you stop playing by pot odds, and start getting out of hands with a lot of action?  I usually will fold if there is a raise with 2 callers, or if there is a raise and then a reraise (unless I have the nuts, ofcourse).  Where do you guys draw the line? or do you not even count pot odds, or consider the amount of action before you bet?
Pasuded
1 star member

Postby Pasuded » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:04 pm

I think this is a great topic. Pot odds can get you introuble quickly when you don't apply everything else you know such as position, player's tendencies, bet amount in relation to your stack.
Pot odds are the odds you get to see a card but they change with action behind you and those odds on the flop seldom get left for the river. I use pot odds to justify a call from time to time but especially in a multi way pot u need to figure out not just improving but current strength and improving to the best hand. Pot odds may allow you to draw to a flush but you don't want to lose to a better flush. More people calling bets means more chances for your hand to get squished.
Eappy1967
3 star member

Postby Eappy1967 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:10 pm

even more confusing is when youstart fatoring in things like, eractic players, small stacks going in with god knows what, and game logic.  remember when this was an easy game?
Mignate
1 star member

Postby Mignate » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:39 am

ya when playin like eratic players you relly just have to make sure your playin strong cards and hands then let the eratic basically eraticate themselves right out of most tourneys
Thole1969
1 star member

Postby Thole1969 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:27 pm

However, if your still on a flush draw after the turn, your winning odds are only 10:1

I assume by flush draw you are holding 2 suited with 2 more on the board.Surely the correct odds are 37-9 ie just over 4-1 rather than the 10-1 you suggest.

Return to “General strategy”