Savage

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Pire1981
2 star member

finishing just outside the loot

Postby Pire1981 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:37 pm

i play about 6 tournys with anywhere from 40 - 400 people per day... i win loot atleast once per day but i notice that if i dont go out early or win i always finish within 4 spots of the cash... if it is the top 9 i am in the top 14 if it is the top 18 i am like 22... is it something i am doing? i usually get tighter around the end but not too tight or loose at all... what f=dou you do when you get close?
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:19 pm

Yes I believe that what you are doing is "trying" to put other people out so you can get past the bubble.  One of the strategies that many people use when they are that close to the money is to only play Monster hands and to fold on anything else or to not play at all until they get to the money if they have a decent stack and can withstand a couple of bbs and sbs without being crippled.
Dazint

Postby Dazint » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:48 pm

i hate spending hours to get in the money and then losing when you are so close!
Tionevilly
5 star member

Postby Tionevilly » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:58 pm

I had this problem when i began in April also. A couple of suggestions: Know how many people are in the tourney and estimate how many chips would make you comfortable at final table. Also keep track of how many people are left by checking tourney info once in a while. There are times where you will have to play more aggressive to make the money.Then there are other times where maybe you are not doing so well but can hit the money just by only playing premium hands and accepting losing your blinds. If you pay attention to whos left and how many this will help alot.
Rebt1987
1 star member

Postby Rebt1987 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:31 am

if i'm in a large tourney and i get close to the money, i will play pretty good hands and if they are marginal i will fold. Sometimes i will call a bad hand to see how it looks if i think the cards are live but i tend to play pretty tight and usually do pretty well.
Courpastruce
3 star member

Postby Courpastruce » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:45 am

if im short stack i sit out and wait.  if im large stack i try to put people out with out seeing the flop if im in the middle i play tight but play not to lose the feel of the game.
Sphrand
1 star member

Postby Sphrand » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:06 pm

i play really tight when i getr close NO matter how many chips i have i just wait for my over cards or my pocket pairs over 9 to play other than that i fold and once im in the money i jsut playl ike i would normally play i find this most  useful strategy to play
Thernand
3 star member

Savage

Postby Thernand » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:18 pm

If your playing 6 and always making cash in at least one.. well that means your playing good poker. Everyone hit the bubble, I agree with one member said in this thread... If you have the chips or dont.. tighten up.. I have the same problem, I always seem to make that one bad move before the money... Then even if I make the final table I dont have the chips to win..
Ournmeturehe
1 star member

Postby Ournmeturehe » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:56 pm

i find that players get tight when it gets down to that point, so i figure if someone is betting they must have something, even if a player is known for bluffing, this may be one of those SET UP hands to make you call...

Return to “General strategy”