Re: sTRAIGHT DRAW

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Ouseetteled
3 star member

straight draws; when to give up

Postby Ouseetteled » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:54 pm

My idea is to chase a straight only if it doesn't cost too much of your stack.
Unless of course it's an up and down straight draw you can risk more chips.
But a mistake i've made is to overbet a straight draw.  This can get you into trouble.  I usually try to commit as little of my chips as possibble untill I hit my straight.  If it's an allin bet and your still chasing;  GET OUT!!!
Thole1969
1 star member

pot odds

Postby Thole1969 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:14 pm

A simplistic approach to this is to check your pot odds. An open ended straight is approx 6-1 against filling and a gutshot is about 12-1. I find its rarely good value to chase a gutshot but open ended can often be played depending on the other players.
Dientiong
5 star member

Re: pot odds

Postby Dientiong » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:13 pm

DarkRalph wrote:A simplistic approach to this is to check your pot odds. An open ended straight is approx 6-1 against filling and a gutshot is about 12-1. I find its rarely good value to chase a gutshot but open ended can often be played depending on the other players.

I'd have to agree with DR.  Pot odds should be the deciding factor.  

For more info on pot odds, read David Sklanky's Theory of Poker.
Ouseetteled
3 star member

sTRAIGHT DRAW

Postby Ouseetteled » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:57 pm

Pot odds should be a deciding factor as well;  But often times players fall into the trap "I have to call for pot odds even though I know I will lose with the slight chance I'll win".  Well I never follow by that theory;  If I feel I should get out;  I'll Get Out!!

Often times paying too much attention to pot odds can get you knocked out when you know you still have a chance even with a low stack.  That's the way I always look at it.  I hit the straight;   great!  But if I don't I won't committ all my chips to try to steal the pot.  I've been busted out too often that way.
Thernand
3 star member

Chasing

Postby Thernand » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:53 am

Inside straights are for suckers... If the bet is huge, fold. If you have the big hand and you think a player is chasing.. bet big.. If your slow playing your aces and giving him cards all your doing is asking for trouble. We see it happen everyday, Those turn and river cards should be expensive when you have a good hand.

A book I read by Phil Gordan states that inside straight chasers are easy money, But you still have to play it right.
Thole1969
1 star member

Re: sTRAIGHT DRAW

Postby Thole1969 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:20 pm

Often times paying too much attention to pot odds can get you knocked out when you know you still have a chance even with a low stack.  That's the way I always look at it.  I hit the straight;   great!  But if I don't I won't committ all my chips to try to steal the pot.  I've been busted out too often that way.[/quote]

When short stacked I agree that pot odds become less of a consideration. Calling to an open straight with no other options will mean losing 5 times out of 6. You have to be in a position to take these losses in order to gain the reward. Short stacked you often only have one chance to stay in the game so chasing a straight is not advisable.
Boxylisher
1 star member

Postby Boxylisher » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:53 pm

i hate chasing. i never seem to catch and i just end up putting half my chips in the middle with 8 high. but flopping a straight is something else.
Dazint

Postby Dazint » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:47 pm

you cant have the policy of never chasing! you are missing out on the opportunity for a lot of potential big pots!
Hationizing
1 star member

Postby Hationizing » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:42 pm

I only chase str8 draws if the board is ragged.  This way if I lead at the pot I have a good shot of just picking it up right there, and if not then the action usually goes weak and I get to draw for free or at least cheaper than if I merely just called a bet.
Restong
2 star member

Postby Restong » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:05 am

if you have pot odds go ahead and chase if not then dont chase. after the flop 73% of your possibilities are already seen so goodluck with making that str8.

Return to “General strategy”