tips

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Bremand77
1 star member

Could use some tips

Postby Bremand77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Hey,anyone got any good tips on Texas holdem,I am a pretty good seven card stud player but at a lot of the sites its mostly NL Texas Holdem which is fine but being new to that game could use any help I can get,anyone know of any books that have helped them. Thanks in advance.Scott aka myhdshovel
ACE-magnet
5 star member

Postby ACE-magnet » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:42 pm

hello scott,personally im pretty sure weve played together at bike and you seem to do fine :)  the books ive read pertain to the best in poker and their complex strtagies dont work against knuckleheads allining with 4/Q in a freeroll;however the base instructions and starting hand requirements i found helpful so check out the championship series by T.J cloutierand tom mcevoy there is about 6or 7 in the series all have good info. in them. super system is a good read for anyone especially if you play more than just NLHE,gl welcome  to the forum.
Bremand77
1 star member

Hey Ace

Postby Bremand77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:13 pm

Hi Ace,you hit the nail on the head I have had the pleasure of playing with you at the Bike and a few others place's but I feel like I have a long way to go and lots to learn.Thanks for the info Ace am looking forward to meeting you at the final table lol.Thanks again Scott myhdshovel
Trisheye
1 star member

tips

Postby Trisheye » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:55 pm

There is a really good book out there called "poker for dummies".  While it doesn't give a lot of experience tales and such, it does have the basics, and you can read at most of the poker sites, Absolute, Full Tilt and Ultimate Bet all have some good tips and strategies columns by different WSOP players.  Kewl?
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:40 pm

Hold'em is kind of hard to give tips in.  There's so many and each situation calls for a different "tip".  Since you play stud and sounds like you are just looking to improve, I suggest Sklansky's Hold'em for Advanced Players.  He covers a lot of basic strategy so don't be intimidated by the title.  I've read it and his regular Hold'em book and I think they are both great.
Brible
1 star member

Postby Brible » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:25 pm

you can read some books they always help, but the best tips your gonna get are gonna be at the table
Sade1973
3 star member

Postby Sade1973 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:58 pm

me i tried to learn on-line and on TV ,watching at from TV poker games will teach you many tips.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:02 pm

herlis wrote:me i tried to learn on-line and on TV ,watching at from TV poker games will teach you many tips.

I would not recommend that you use TV as anything more than entertainment.  A lot of new players think that TV poker is realistic, when it is actually the exact opposite.  TV producres have to sort through dozens of hands to find one worth showing on TV, so you can get a false sense of "poker knowledge" by watching and analyzing players on TV.
Niiis1992
2 star member

Postby Niiis1992 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:03 pm

DO NOT GET YOUR POKER TIPS FROM TV!!!!!!!!. First of all, they are only showing the final table, where everybody is already getting paid. There might even be a deal already established where th money is divided up. Therefore, the players might be a little looser than normal. Also, as gmroz stated, they only show a select number of hands. Read a book. Doyle, Sklansky, Caro. Dan Harrington.
Laire1982
1 star member

Recommend

Postby Laire1982 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:10 pm

I would recommend playing in a few private forum freerolls to get used to the tables and game!!!!  The reason I say private is you don't get as many bad players going all in every hand!!!!
Ouseetteled
3 star member

Draw hands

Postby Ouseetteled » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:49 pm

Always try to see the flop, turn and river for as cheaply as you can when on a draw.  That is a straight draw or flush draw. Nothing is worse than betting alot of chips and not hitting on your draw.  If there to big of a raise and your on  draw consider your outs.  If it's only a gut shot draw then fold.  If it's an open ended draw then you might consider calling.
But tred carefully and PAY ATTENTION!!!
Nowhimed
1 star member

tips

Postby Nowhimed » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:29 pm

I reccomend playing with forums, the quality of the players is very good. You learn by playing and watching!

good luck
cydott
Courpastruce
3 star member

Postby Courpastruce » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:22 pm

i would agree the smaller numbers r nice and ive learned alot from the forums
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:41 pm

Watching and playing in freerolls is probably the best way to learn your strong points and faults and to find out how others treat the Freerolls.  In the beginning most of the "bingo" players play and knock each other out.   So sit back be patient and then only play the cream of the crop hands.

A good read is Internet Poker by Lou Krieger/Kathleen Keller Watterson.  It will give you some good pointers.

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”