re: blind stealing in tournaments

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Grewle81
1 star member

What's the best style of play for tournaments?

Postby Grewle81 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:26 pm

i having trouble getting anywhere in tournaments. wold just like some tips on how steal blinds and when to fold(holdem)
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:23 pm

Most newbies start off playing far too many hands.  I was no exception.  My game improved immediately and substantially after I found a couple of starting hand charts and followed them.  It's possible to go even farther.  I think Phil Hellmuth recommends beginners start off playing onl top 10 hands.  That may be severe, but the guy is one of the world's most accomplished players, so I'm not gonna tell him he's wrong.  :p
Coveregs
2 star member

Postby Coveregs » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:32 pm

those hand charts really help. although sometimes it is good to play a lot of hands in the beginning because of the cheap blinds, overall you will lose more than you gain probably
Theem1976
1 star member

Postby Theem1976 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:42 pm

first of all, if you haven't gotten anywhere in tournaments, stealing blinds is the last thing you njeed to worry about. blind stealing is something that should occur in the later stages of a tournament when the blinds are high, and when your ready to steal blinds, you will know exactly when the time is right for it. the best help i can give for online tournaments is to start off playing tight and then become more tight-aggressive as the tournament goes on.
Comee1985
4 star member

Postby Comee1985 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:37 pm

Every strategy should depend on your table, it must change depending on who you are playing against! Blind stealing is something you do in later stages of tourneys, its impossible in earlier stages!
Beform2
1 star member

Re: whats the best style of plaay for tournament

Postby Beform2 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:11 pm

smokatoke wrote:i having trouble getting anywhere in tournaments. wold just like some tips on how steal blinds and when to fold(holdem)

I have more success at ring games
try the low pot limit until you get a feel for the site and the players
thats what i do :)
I started with five bucks at .25/.50 today and am up to $57 woohoo  :lol:
Hiday1973
1 star member

re: blind stealing in tournaments

Postby Hiday1973 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:25 pm

It depends on what you mean by a tournament. If you mean freerolls, or big/inexpensive online, then this is very difficult. People have a tendency to call much more in these tournaments, either because of impatience or inexperience, and so it's generally a better strategy to play tight, fold questionable hands, and bet aggressively using strong hands -- because you will get paid off.

If you are talking smaller sit-n-go tournaments, blind stealing becomes more effective, but generally only works best if the table is tight (ie, people fold a lot).

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”