Kings are tricky

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Hereir
1 star member

best bet

Postby Hereir » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:52 pm

what is the best thing to do if you have a pair if kings?
Ressivoisin1970
1 star member

Postby Ressivoisin1970 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:20 am

It depends on what kind of situation you are in, if its preflop you will want to bet a sizable amount to get out all the people with aces with crappie kickers, but after the flop it depends on what other cards are out the, if you are planning on sucking your opponent in or what.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:59 pm

Pre flop:  You need to throw a bet out there that is big enough to isolate yourself against one or two players, but not big enough to kill you if an ace flops.  Takes a little skill, but a raise to 3xBB is usually good enough, unless it is early in the blind structure...where you may need to raise it to 5xBB.

Post flop:  If an ace doesn't flop, you need to put pressure on your opponent.  You can't slow play here and a check-raise is only in order if you know the guy behind you (if there is one) will bet.  You can't give away free cards, so bet your hand.  Its often said that if an ace doesn't flop, you should push all in.  If you want to follow this theory, be prepared for the occasional suck out - knock out.
Whictime
2 star member

Kings are tricky

Postby Whictime » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Kings are always looking out for Aces. If you flop them you want to let your opponents know that you are prepared to go all in, without actually going all in of course. I play them like they were Aces, a big 3X-4X BB bet and then take my time (especially if I have position) making my decision on post flop bets. If you don't flop an Ace, I say make a bet even higher than your preflop bet, maybe even double. Sometimes if my opponents all check, I go all in. Awe the smell of weakness. Of course you always have to worry about the ubiquitous set lurking to trap you at the river. Remember that the percentages are usually with you grasshopper.  :wink:

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”