lingo

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Doccujjoinds
1 star member

Lingo...

Postby Doccujjoinds » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:54 am

How do you learn all the lingo? I just learned one the other day "tilt." I took this to mean someone who purposely bets large even though he may not have a thing.

Is there a book or something I should be buying? My best finish so far has been 4th @ the final table.

Thanks,
Melziemae
Tank
5 star member

Lingo

Postby Tank » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:09 pm

HAHAH a word that is music to a poker players ears..Tilt refers to a player that has just lost a hand. Might have had Pocket ACEs and been beaten by someone with no starting hand but just "out drew him or her" tilt is makeing one bad play after another, I just can't stand it when I have an outstanding starting hand AA or AK and someone calls me all the way down to the river only too be beaten by a 10 6 off suit and the fool makes a straight...lol (Thats Tilt)
Sages1989
3 star member

Postby Sages1989 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:03 am

m60,

calling you all the way down to the river with AA.

you musst be playing limit. or your big bets would

drive him out.

usually go on tilt, and play poorly, right after

the disaster m60 spoke of.

donvic
Hicked93
1 star member

Postby Hicked93 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:53 pm

ha ha.. i found a site not to long ago that will u and any other new player on the slang of poker...

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/Illini ... /slang.htm

the tops for general Poker.. scroll down neare the end and hold'em has its one lil words :)
Happone67
1 star member

Postby Happone67 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:45 pm

if you just say nh=nice hand....then you are good. when i started playing i didnt even know what ty stood for (thank you). I thought it was short for "tyte i won the hand"
Magas1995
1 star member

Postby Magas1995 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:52 pm

actually tilt means that they just had a really bad beat and they are trying everything they can to get their money back. it's usually a good time to catch them making a really bad call, because they're flustered! i learned one the other day though. NTD, which meant nice take down... because i won the pot without having to show my name. i guess thats a way to say nice hand without seeing my hand. the more you play, the more lingo you'll learn. i had a guy get made at me the other day because i was telling him NH, which meant nice hand, and he was new to the game and thought i was telling him he had No Hand... when it got to be heads up between us he asked me what it meant and then he told me, he had been mad at me the whole game, and had been trying to take me out! it was too funny! :roll:
Busert
1 star member

Postby Busert » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:00 am

Could someone explain what does "Coffee Housing" mean?
Juseenoth82
3 star member

Postby Juseenoth82 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:58 pm

Coffee housing is chatting in general.

During a poker hand Coffee Housing means subtle hinting about hand contents or possibles.  

Any information passed about a hand in play (yours or about others) is a BIG NO NO.
Keirock85
2 star member

lingo

Postby Keirock85 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:40 pm

I've been playin on line poker for about a year & a half not, and i find more people then not are helpful and polite, if what that said doesn't make sense to what just happened during the hand, just ask....they probably won't jump down your throat.  GL at the tables!  :)

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”