quickbets

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Hoult1991
1 star member

Online Tells

Postby Hoult1991 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:33 am

I know a few tells when playing with my friends, but is there anything about my opponents betting, etc. that could clue me in as to the strength of their hand online?

Thanks
Hationizing
1 star member

Postby Hationizing » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:06 am

This just goes for freerolls as money games are a bit more complicated.  The average freeroller will chase for anything no matter how bad there odds are.  The only way that I have come up with to beat them is value bet them instead of trying to make the odds unfavorable for them to chase.  The main reason for this is these idiots hardly know what pot odds are so they don't know its wrong to chase.  

My strategy also affords me the opportunity to make money off these people, maybe not as much as normally possible but I don't stand the risk of losing all my chips to a bad beat on the river.  Now this is why my advice works: for one they chase even when its an all in bet, two they'll call anything,and three once they make there hand they take the lead in the pot thus letting you know you are beat.  My stategy affords me the opportunity to make more money than I would otherwise lose to these fools.  

Later in tournaments I do change my strategies and play more of a poker game than just the A,B,C game I must endure to build my stack in the early goings on.
Therecting90
1 star member

quickbets

Postby Therecting90 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:51 pm

or changing up are good singns of hot hands or bluffs
Tionevilly
5 star member

Postby Tionevilly » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:57 pm

You can often tell who is using the auto buttons.  If you get a lot of immediate folds your probably up against a tight player. Loose players can talk themselves into any hand if they look at it long enough. Beast way for me is to pay attention to others and play same hands differenly each time.
Theirthe
3 star member

Postby Theirthe » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:24 am

I think you have to be at there table for at least an hour to see how they are playing. I notice in freerolls a lot of people like to go all in when they are on a bluff. Only a few good players I know actually have a good hand.
Ounts1996
1 star member

Postby Ounts1996 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Yeah, I agree with the last post.  Online tells are difficult to pickup on because tables are changed so often (in tournaments).  The only real way to pick up on tells is in a ring game where the players stick around for a while.  You can pick up on betting patterns, using the preplay buttons [check] [check/fold] [fold to any bet] etc...

I also find in the lower stakes tables online tells are worthless.  Play your cards, play your position and don;t worry about trying to figure out "why did he take so long to bet", "Why did he go all-in so fast"
Juseenoth82
3 star member

Postby Juseenoth82 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 am

Timimg and bet action are about the only thing to go on in online poker (Tournamant or ring games).  I agree in freerolls and low-limit.  there are people that will bet anything, so you can't get much of a read on them anyway.  They play anything and the always play so your only option is to have a hand.  Don't worry so much about tells.  If they play every hand, you can get them easily in the long run.  Just don't risk your stack unless you have the nuts.
Famembady
1 star member

Postby Famembady » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:46 pm

Online tells are very difficult to spot.  It's not like when you're actually playing at a real table where you can look at the person you're playing.  I think it's much harder to spot the sucker in online games.
Undis1969
1 star member

Postby Undis1969 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:34 pm

i never really can tell when some1 is bluffin online i hate that.
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:47 pm

Online tells are more subtle than live.  But one or two of the things to look for is a "fast" check or "fast" call.  Both of these mean that someone is using the pre-select button.  A fast check usually means they have nothing and are hoping to see the next card.  A fast call usually means that they have something but not the best hand and want to get to the next card.

The other thing to look for is someone hemming and hawing and then either calling or raising.  That's usually a sign of either a bluff or a great hand.  If you have watched them play a few hands you should have some idea of what kind of cards they play and a little bit about their betting.  Another thing to watch is when they check, check, and then at the river if an Ace shows up they bet big.  Normally, that's a bluff but it depends on where they are sitting as in "position".
Nowerelf93

Postby Nowerelf93 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:51 pm

ive been playing the freeside of sites for a couple years and just recently started the lower limit of the real side lately and i see little difference most of the time. some tables i sit at seem to be just like it was a free table. sometimes i can tell a guy is full of it but i have to be at table for awhile to see he is always betting and everyone folds giving him the green light to keep playing that way. i will call with hardly a hand he loses and players at table see his hand ending his way of playing till he gets a hand
Somblifir
1 star member

Postby Somblifir » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:59 pm

I noticed that when a player goes all in  on the river it is rarely a bluf. So call only with nuts.
Hicestowill1970
1 star member

Postby Hicestowill1970 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:16 pm

betting patterns is the biggest online tell and truely the only valid one
Coveregs
2 star member

Postby Coveregs » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:31 pm

the only thing to look at is maybe betting patterns and how long it takes for the player to act. other than that, i guess you can only look at their chip stack.

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”