beating the bubble!!!!

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Entenight

beating the bubble!!!!

Postby Entenight » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:11 am

How do i always seem to go out just when things are starting too get good...I have won a fair few tourneys but most i seem to just get out on the bubble.....Any advice would be good
:D  :s  :h
Waime1984
1 star member

Postby Waime1984 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:22 pm

Sounds like you get a bit greedy... There is always that string of luck for one or two hands but you know its gotta stop somewhere and someone else is going to have the better hand, just gotta know when to fold.
Jecrer
1 star member

Postby Jecrer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:25 pm

The Bubble is brutal.. you have to know where you stand in the tourney when it comes near the bubble place.

I always have another window of the players left and their chip count available on a click... So I always know when I stand.  

The rule of thumb.. is play your game.  Your standing places a very small part if your not playing sound poker.

Ron
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:19 am

Most of the time, going out on the bubble isn't a disaster unless it happens because you did something you shouldn't have.  The main reason is that the prize structure usually makes even one decent placing worth more than multiple finishes just in the money.
Whisextephy19892
2 star member

Postby Whisextephy19892 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:37 pm

I've gotten sucked in on that string of good hands too.
You a great hand a few times in a row, but you got to know when to stop.
Glesing
2 star member

Postby Glesing » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:22 am

Well near the bubble it might be a good idea to try to steal some blinds sense most people will tighten up their game. Only try to steal if your in late position and your fairly confident that your opponents will fold. This will help you build a strong chip stack for the rest of the tourney and hopefully give you some padding so you wont bust out.
Happone67
1 star member

Postby Happone67 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:01 am

stay with your game and remember that other players are going to play very tight when they are near the bubble...if your game has been working thus far dont change it you might lose money, and remember that other players wont bluff at you as much...use this to your advantage
Happone67
1 star member

Postby Happone67 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:01 am

stay with your game and remember that other players are going to play very tight when they are near the bubble...if your game has been working thus far dont change it you might lose money, and remember that other players wont bluff at you as much...use this to your advantage
Beform
2 star member

Postby Beform » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:47 pm

I have several bubble stories.  The most recent happened Thursday night.

Royal Vegas
$10+1 Fixed Limit
104 entrants

I played good most of the tourny.  When it got down to 12 players I had around 14k in chips.  I got KQo in the BB.  One raise to me and reraised.  Head to head going to the flop.  Flop QXX.  I raised throughout and had top pair after the river.  He turned over AA and now I'm down to 3k chips and crippled.  

Why did I play it that way?  My thoughts were this.  He raised at the start and I put him on AK or jack's maybe 10's.  He just called my raises through out and no reraises.  Didn't put him on the set or 2 pair and felt my hand was the best.

Oh well I finished 11th one place out of the money.  Did I learn anything?  Not really, I would have played it the same way.  The tournament is not gonna win itself.

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”