reading the player

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Sursen68
1 star member

When did you switch from play the cards

Postby Sursen68 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:17 pm

I hear often that newbies play the cards, the pros play the player. I am trying to watch the players more closely, watching how they bet. When do they raise. but if you never see a showdown where all show their hands, makes it tough to decide on how/what they play.

Does anyone have any tips?

DDDDDave
Impad1984
1 star member

reading the player

Postby Impad1984 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:34 pm

if your reffering to watching players online, its obviously harder than face-to-face. playing online, (absolute) I came aware of the players who join all the tourneys that I played. Usually when I wanted to know what the guy had I would follow his bet to the end. Yea you lose, but you can learn alot. What he bets before the flop. He his betting changes when he sees the flop and so on. Usually its trial and error. Not the best advice but it works in the long run. Also, look to what they bet in what position. Usually the BB will call and duel it out. Or you can just sit and wait to see his cards, eventually you'll see people's cards by them playing, so patience is a good thing to have. hope this helped a little, if not let me know, I'll try to clarify it.
-josh
Hoult1991
1 star member

Postby Hoult1991 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:35 am

Even if you are the big blind, the money you posted is no longer yours, so if you have a really bad hand, you should not feel in any way obligated to call to learn anything or just to call.
Hationizing
1 star member

Postby Hationizing » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:26 am

I am really terrible at profiling online players as I find myself lacking the patinece for it a lot of times, ecspecially in the lower limits as these nut jobs call everything.

My advice to you would be that if you can't see a shoowdown for a while look at there betting patterns and try to figure out if it is just one guy steam rolling another or if they are fighting over lidgitimate hands.

The next best way to determine what they are betting is to look at the texture of the boards that are being contested, if they are weak than chances are one player has overs while another may have a PP.

You have to realize pros aren't magically predicting hands when they are playing there opponents.  What they are doing is putting them on a range of hands and then using that information to decide whether or not they can force a fold or pull amajor bluff off.

Another thing when doing this is being fairly confident knowing that the opponent you are facing is smart enough to fold a mediocre hand like just top pair.  If he is competent enough to know that he should lay a hand like that down in certain situations then you will find yourself playing some real poker instead of all this a,b,c crap that the internet mostly offers.
Whisextephy19892
2 star member

Postby Whisextephy19892 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:39 pm

watching players online is much harder than in person.
But if you sit back and watch close, you may figure out one or two at the table.
Sublaid
1 star member

Postby Sublaid » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:12 am

in ring games there is no need to play the player, blinds do not change and you do not have to bluff or take risks.

MTT's like the ones you see on TV are the only time you will need to worry about that ind of thing, and it is a totaly different game. Just play lots of MTT's you will get the hang of it.
Coldingaze
2 star member

Postby Coldingaze » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:34 pm

I find you should always play the cards first then the players if tyou have a playable hand watch the others at their play there are some good tells in online poker
1 the amount of time it takes someone to make a certain bet
2 the amount bet compared to the blind
3 my favorite players will bet their pairs ie $value = pair value i know thios sounds funney but watch they do it

some advice to playing while im at it make sure u mix it up your betting amounts your time your call raise bluff slowplay mix it all up so thye cant read you
Beform
2 star member

Postby Beform » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:22 pm

Online you have to start by playing the cards.  The best way to play the player is take notes.  Most all sites offer this.  Right click on the players at your table at Royal Vegas and a pop down window shows up, one of the options being "Notes"  Once you take a note it stays there.  So next time you sit down with that person you have a heads up that you can add to also.  Another thing, If I clean someone out or recognize a bad player I will write his name down.  At Royal Vegas you can run a search and it will tell you where they are sitting :)

Edit:  Phil Ivey has thousands of notes on online players.

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”