New On-Line Players

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Dientiong
5 star member

Getting Started Online

Postby Dientiong » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:13 pm

Just to help anyone looking to test out the waters, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about recommendations on where to begin.

What Site: I had a decent poker background (or so I thought) when I signed up for my first account, which was at Party Poker. I'd recommend searching through posts about which sites Hasselquist members like and which they don't (and why).

Depositing: I started by depositing via credit card. Some credit card companies are making that harder and harder, so I would recommend using the online bank of NeTeller. You can make transactions to and from poker sites via NeTeller, which can be set up to connect with a checking account.

Playing: A lot of people start out with the playmoney tables. I only recommend this if you are brand new to poker or brand new to online poker. In my opinion, the actual level of play can do more harm than good so your best bet on learning to play is actually at the "mico-limit" tables. A good way to get your feet wet without getting cleaned out is to start at a .02/.04 limit table. Move up as you get comfortable.

FreeRolls & Leagues: If you have made it this far, you have probably heard talk of freerolls and poker leagues. Search the site for more info on both, but these offer an opportunity to play for cash prizes without risk.
Ahmand1976
2 star member

New On-Line Players

Postby Ahmand1976 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:13 pm

Howdy Y'all -

That's an excellent post GM and I agree 100% with just about everything you said. The only possible conflict we may have regards the play money tables. I would urge new on-line players to try these out at the the various sites but only to get a decent feel for the software. Personally, there are many sites I don't particularly care for yet others strongly advocate. I think this must have to do with personal tastes simply because I can't come up with any other reasonable explanation.

I also agree whole-heartedly with your NeTeller suggestion though I've been forced to use FirePay. That's only due to a conflict my ISP has with NeTeller and I'm unable to receive email from them. However, FirePay is not a bad alternative yet there are fewer (but not a lot fewer) sites that recognize them.

Freerolls are definately the place for on-line players to build their rolls. I've never deposited a cent of my own money but have transferred winnings from a few sites to many others. I've been playing casually about two years and probably have about $1200 or $1500 spread around forty rooms or so. I've also withdrawn about $2000. The first year or a bit longer I played only freerolls and ultra small buy-ins.

Forums are another terrific source for education and information as you stated. I would urge new players to get involved with them as they'll reap many benefits from them over time.

The only major concern I can add is a strong suggestion to all new on-line players about their room choices especially when considering a deposit. All rooms have their own rules and these are spelled out on their web sites in their "Terms and Conditions". It's not always easy to confidently decipher their meaning but at least you aren't stumbling into a room blindly. This is also important when looking at bonus, or in some cases even freeroll, money offered.

Regardless, I wish you all the best of luck at the tables!

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”