Howdy (Kinda long, but good story about Phil Hellmuth)

Introduce yourself to the other members.

Moderator: Moderator

Jecrer
1 star member

Howdy (Kinda long, but good story about Phil Hellmuth)

Postby Jecrer » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:00 am

My name is Ron Harris, I live in Conroe Texas.

I am a freeroll player, on any average day I play up to 30 tourny's a day with the exceptions of my "binges" where I will play for 36 hours straight or more. (My record is 54 hours straight... I would not suggest this to ANYONE, I paid for it DEARLY for the next 3 days)

I play these freerolls to generate real money for real tourney's buy ins, It seems MTT's are what I am best at.

But I play for a very specific reason that I would like to share with you all, I am not looking for pity, but I am hoping that someone that maybe in a "like" posistion, realizes they are not alone.

In 1995, at 39 years old (I am 43 now) I became disabled due to an inoperable back condition (Its called Spinal Stenosis).  The nerves in my back and leg are consistantly being "pinched".  I explain it as this - Have you ever stubbed your toe or finger?  You know that pain you feel 1 second after you do it?  Well thats how I hurt 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The pain I am in everyday is intense. I had to leave my 75k a year job as a Network Engineer and Trainer, I had to file bankruptcy, and lost everything I spent a lifetime achieving.   Going from 75 k a year in income to 12k a year is well, a life adjustment to say the least.

My wife is recovering from Cancer, the last year and a half has been very rough on her, and me as well, because she is my world.  Luckily she was cured and is now currently she is looking for work.

I am basically homebound, its very hard to me to go anywhere or do anything, the pain meds I take make me so very sick, and they lower my pain very little.  I am not in control of my life, the pain is.  So I got myself a very comfortable chair and a desk that allows me to keep my knees above my hips and my keyboard in my lap.  Its the most comfortable position I can find.  

I focus every ounce of my being on learning and playing the game of poker, I have studied every book, DVD and other media I can get my hands on.  

Phil Hellmuth has been a great help to me.  Let me explain, see I did well at Greentie's Texas Hold'em Challenge (well came in 10th), along with the cash prize, the top 10 won a Seminar conducted by Phil Hellmuth and a party afterwards.  Of course I could not go, due to my condition, so I emailed Greentie and thanked them for the opportunity, but stated I could not attend due to my disability (I wanted to so so bad).  I thought that was that... but...

I get an Email from Phil himself, telling me he was sorry I couldn't make it.  I just thought it was some automated Email or something, but it seemed so personal, again...  I didnt think anything of it... until 3 days later...

I got a package in the mail, and it was from Palo Alto, CA where Phil lives, I was thinking to myself... Nah... couldn't be.  I opened the package and found 3 books and a DVD by Phil Hellmuth.  I was a pretty happy camper.  I could never afford those things on my own.  I thought wow, Phil had someone mail me these books and the DVD... UNTIL...

I opened up the books and the DVD Case, and realized that ALL of them were autographed by Phil himself.  I don't know about you, but when a muti-millionare takes time out to send out some books and a DVD, AND takes the time to also autograph them, thats a man that appreciated his fans.

I realize I am attempting the near impossible, trying to generate some kind of income via Freerolls and/or somehow magically luck into a big tourney and win some money to help out my family. I am not out to "get rich", I am pretty used to being poor, but my passion for the game is what drives me, the potential payout is just a desirable outcome.  Win or lose, I play for the love of the game.

I hope to share some of my experiences as I take this journey, I hope to help as many people that I can and maybe learn something along the way.

Respectfully,

Ron
Chammat
5 star member

Postby Chammat » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:17 pm

so sorry about your downfalls hope things work out for you, and good luck with your big tourney.
ACE-magnet
5 star member

Postby ACE-magnet » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:11 pm

wow sorry t hear your life turned the way it did. i heard once "if it dont kill ya it will make you stronger" playing poker all day cant be all bad;and to hear that phil did something that nice almost changes my mind about him.welcome to the forum.
Welition93
5 star member

Postby Welition93 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:32 pm

hope to cya soon,GL

Return to “Introduce Yourself”