slow play

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Weng1990
1 star member

Postby Weng1990 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:41 pm

I almost never slow play unless somebody is chasing. If I am at a table that has a person that is playing about everyhand then I would slow play but most of the time I would bet big.
Haroven
2 star member

slow playing

Postby Haroven » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:26 pm

if someone else is raising and youve got the nuts youve got to slow play. just call until the river then go over the top and more than likely youll win more doing it that way
Yousand
3 star member

Re: SLOWPLAY!!!!

Postby Yousand » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:50 pm

kermit wrote:I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW YOU GUYS SLOW PLAY THE NUTZ I FIND IF I THINK IM IN FRONT I SHALL SLOW PLAY IN STAGES!!

E.G: BLINDS 100/200

STAGE 1!! PREFLOP Ah Kh = MINIMUM RAISE
STAGE 2!! FLOP AsKd2c  = 2XBIGBLIND
STAGE 3!! TURN 5h = 4 X BIG BLIND
STAGE 4!! RIVER 9d = 8 X BIG BLIND

DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS IS A GOOD WAY OF SLOWPLAYING?????
IF NOT HOW DO YOU SLOW PLAY A STRONG HAND?????

Kermit you ain't got the nutz. 22, 55, 99, kk, aa all have you beat when the board is full (as ridiculous as it is 3,4 is the hand you want with that board and the sad thing is that there are fools about that would chase for that straight once they had seen the flop). You have to be very wary of slow playing when you are strong whether its the nuts or not after the flop. I play mid to low pairs in one of four ways.
1. If pot odds are no good and I'm out of postion I toss them away.
2. All-in if low on chips or short handed to try and get rid of everyone and pick up some cheap chips.
3. 3 or 4 x BB to find out what shape I am in.
4. If it is cheap and I am in good position I'll flat call to see if I get lucky. In your scenario I got lucky with my 22 (for example) and took all your chips because you were telling me you had nothing. Depending on our positions I would have either called or check-called all the way and then probably even re-raised you on the river.

Isn't poker so much easier when you now what the other guy is holding  :D

8)
Cultin
2 star member

slow play

Postby Cultin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:09 am

Not sure if any advise is the right stuff... part of poker is the cards you get.. part is the betting and the message you want to send with the bet... the other part is pure luck because the other players are not always consistent in their playing and of course there's still the cards to come.  Myself... I usually will slow play when I'm small stacked and there's many players in the hand.
Gagoem
4 star member

Postby Gagoem » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:40 am

Slowplaying is something that always seems to backfire on me.  My decision to limp in with K's under the gun in a tournament tonight (blinds were 150/300) was based solely on the fact that two opponents at my table were playing ultra-aggressive before the flop.  I was counting on at least one of them to raise (in fact, I 100% expected it to happen), so I could re-raise all-in.  However, it always seems like the one time you want one of these opponents to raise you, THEY NEVER seem to.  They both folded their hands.  The small blind called for 150 more, and the big blind saw a free flop.

The flop was Ac 6c 8c.  One of my K's was a club, but I was certain that one of my two opponents had an A.  I checked, and the small blind bet 600.  The big blind raised almost enough to put me all-in.  At this point, I knew I was trailing, but could still win if another club or K came on the turn or river.  I had no other choice but to go all-in.  The small blind folded, and the big blind called me (barely had me covered).  The big blind had A 3 os (3 was a club).  

A club or K didn't come on the turn or river, and I was eliminated.

There's no doubt in my mind had I raised 3x or 4x the big blind, that I would have taken the pot down without a call.  I tend to do this more frequently than I should (slowplay at the wrong time), and it always costs me severely.  It's one of the major elements of my game I continue to work at; when and when not to slowplay.
Whaviely
3 star member

slow play

Postby Whaviely » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:53 pm

slow playin in my expiriences, usually causing opponents catch a better hand than me..so i dont give them this chance and raise as posible as high and try them to fold :D
Gagoem
4 star member

Postby Gagoem » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:26 am

That's the easy solution, but not always a viable one.  We both know that there are many opponents out there (Maniacs, fishes, whatever you want to call them- AND BOY ARE THERE A LOT OF THEM at AP anymore  :roll: ) who will call you with anything.  This most likely would have been the case in my situation, the more I think about it.

I can recall when I first started playing online poker; I too would play Ace- rag regardless of what position I was in, or regardless of whether or not I was raised before the flop.  It took a month or two of experience to realize that you'll lose more often than not to a higher kicker, or catch your two pair and be beat by a higher two pair.  In other words, it's much more likely you'll split a pot or lose with Ace-rag than you will win with it.

Looking back on it, the ultimate mistake I made was not forcing this opponent to make a decision on whether or not he or she wanted to risk 1/3 of their chips to call with A 3 os.  Speaking for myself, I would have folded to the raise.  That makes it even more frustrating for me- do you go with a strategy you've developed from playing against certain opponents that night, or do you stick to your overall game plan of being aggressive based on the hand, and not your opponents?
Strught2
1 star member

Postby Strught2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:16 am

At that point u had nutz but larger nutz could be drawn. Only slow play if you have the best hand and drawing hand.

Return to “How to play hand X”