pocket aces

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Appont
1 star member

AA (Article I) - Pocket Rockets

Postby Appont » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:50 pm

How Many Times Have Any of You Won With Pocket Aces ? Seems That Everytime I Play With Pocket Aces I Get Totally Shafted....Anyone Else Have That Problem ?

[Original title: AA. The subject was changed so the article could be included in the Strategy Archive. - Note by danadolf]
Hichich
1 star member

Postby Hichich » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:02 pm

i agree but the problem is ppl will call a small bet with anything so when u get pocket rockets screw slow play just go all in and take out the bad hands from getting lucky
Thicautmout1970
1 star member

totally agree

Postby Thicautmout1970 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:29 am

overkill is dead right...i play pocket aces with extreme aggression to get rid of anybody who may just get lucky with crappy cards...because if you lose with rockets when u know u couldve won with a larger bet earlier on....u will defintiely go on tilt...
Wastp1991
1 star member

Postby Wastp1991 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:48 pm

Thos may apply in money tournaments or games, but whenever i get pocket aces and go allin on a freeroll some idiot calls with crap and gets lucky. So on freerolls i just slowplay and if thers a flush or strait or a set available on the board then I just fold and lose a little but it sure is better than goin all in and gettin beat by idiots
klas793
Site Admin

Postby klas793 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:41 pm

ya'all are right. However if there's 5 ppl or more going all-in in a freeroll, I'd consider going all-in anyway to make my stack 5x bigger
Tank
5 star member

yep gotta go

Postby Tank » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:04 am

Ditto danadolf they are going too win far more than they lose, yeh you are going too take a hit sometimes but every law of Math is with you, you gotta go even if you lose. because the sick feeling in your stomach when the one time you don't comes back as the flu...lol
m60
Hatent1995
4 star member

Postby Hatent1995 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:47 am

Yep...you have to raise up the pot and thin out the field. Against 1 opponent, your aces should hold up 70% of the time. So I like to raise, but not overbet the pot, because you do want some action. That being said there are situations that I slow play them, but that is risky business. And you also have to let them go if you know you are probably beat. Don't fall in love with them just because its the best starting hand...if you are beat, save your chips and dump 'em.
Dithemethen
1 star member

Postby Dithemethen » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:49 pm

Everyone only feels like they lose with aces everytime, because it is the only hand that you expect to win with 100% of the time.
Mosithe
1 star member

Postby Mosithe » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:10 am

If your afraid of getting burned, then raise AA significantly and make them pay, then move all-in on the flop. As the saying goes," it's better to win a small pot than lose a big one."
Sages1989
3 star member

aa

Postby Sages1989 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:50 am

yes i too love going all in with aa and lots of

players, win or lose.

risk reward ratio is excellent.

will slow play only if think no one will call

all in.

best,

donvic
Whorem1978
3 star member

Postby Whorem1978 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:35 am

Trapping with pocket aces is the same as going all-in. Think about it.

Particularly in early position, I recommend trapping with pocket aces, so just limp in. People who have problems with pocket aces are the people who can't get away from them when they get a terrible flop--which is bound to happen some of the time and you just have to accept that.
Upory1971

Pocket rocket rule the hold'em world!

Postby Upory1971 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:22 pm

Please deal me AA every hand no matter if there is one or 9 (or 20 if you want) opponents against me. Even if they know thet I get them every hand and fold to me, in the end, I will win just by scooping the blinds. Now, why anyone would want to play against me is another story. Some people are just suckers for punishment I guess :D .

There is no better hand in hold'em, period. It wins most pots and pays out about 2.5 on your money. (So for every 100 invested with AA you should get 100 +250 back for those of ya whom math has skipped in grade school lol). I win 9 out of 10 times with AA and frankly do not remember last time i lost with them. AA just has so many possibilities it might seem overwhelming, but it is just a hand and can be broken. So, why is it that some will not fold rockets when they know they are beaten and their tournament life depends on it?

Poker, not unlike life, is a game of decisions ---> if you do not like to make tough decisions, by all means go all in with AA from the get go and make others have to decide what to do. However, you will probably leave a lot of money on the table from lack of action.

Most of the time, when you have a decent stack and are not looking to doubble up, raise enough to have few callers, it does not matter how many really ---> statistically, AA is not very sesitive to multiway pots (unlike its ugly stepchild the AKo which is sensitive) <-- meanning, we want to play AA for value against a number of other players and play AK heads up. On the flop, any possible flush & str draws should be forced out by a substantial raise and so on. Ask yourself this question; "What kinds of hands are going to call me when I raise 6 to 10 times BB or 1to 2 times the pot" mostly AK (AQ maybe AJ) and high pairs so if a flop comes something like 723 you are probably not facing trips or two pair. There are some suicidal players who will call 10xBB raise with 73o but over time you will eat them for lunch and take all their money with AA. Also, the higher the limit the less really loose, bad players you will find. Play some $100 tourneys, and you will not find many 75o all-ins and sucide pacts (6-7 all-ins) on the first hand. Funny thing --- bluffing becomes easier at higher limits and buy-ins because higher caliber players have a better concept of what is facing them with certain dangerous boards, and reading people on line is not the easiest thing to do because of lag and general lack of info on multitudes that play there.

The whole point is, as far as I am concerned, it is better to be in control of your destiny and drive the action then to be driven (right to the poor house :cry: ) by it.
Staided68
1 star member

Postby Staided68 » Mon May 23, 2005 1:08 pm

depending on what position im in.IF IM THE FIRST to bet ill go all in.If im one of the last ill bet 2 get some play
Eded1991
2 star member

Postby Eded1991 » Fri May 27, 2005 5:44 pm

for me?i vary it.sometimes the allin approach,sometimes limp in to trap.but what i cannot and will probably never understand is people betting the pot in pot limit omaha on pocket aces.it is not a good hand in omaha....or is it?is it that i think playing 1 hand from a possible 6 against a possible 48 other hands is crazy?
Fulaid
1 star member

well, recently...

Postby Fulaid » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:33 am

if any of you watched tonights WPT in LA, you saw the breaking of aces by prbly the most common way of it getting beat, a straight, the rican brother took home the WPT title however by having aces, either way its still a rush to see aces :)

Return to “How to play hand X”