Seating Position

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Cosper
1 star member

Seating Position

Postby Cosper » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:57 am

I have been playing online for about 8 months now and somthing I have noticed at Empire is that the # 9 Seat is deadly, and I rarely get it in tournaments. Is this because I'm not spending enough Money or what.
I lost 5 or 6k when I started and now find myself freeloading on the freerolls untill I improve. Can anyone enlghten on the subject I am familar with how important position is,but you can't control it in tournaments. At least most of the sites don't allow it.

Excuse me if this is something that is already known to most, but I would really like some imput.  Thanks  IndySteve

[/b]
Niiis1992
2 star member

Postby Niiis1992 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:42 pm

What in the hell are you talking about? The seat # makes no difference at all. The button moves aroung in an orbit for a reason. So nobody has an unfair advantage. Sounds like you have a very exagerated superstition.
Theirthe
3 star member

Postby Theirthe » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:46 am

In absolute I have been in this one seat that seems to win a lot and another seat that doesn't seem to win a lot. You may think with the dealer going around it doesn't make a difference. But you don't know what hands the site has setup for that seat.
Coveress
1 star member

Postby Coveress » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:00 am

bigboy4life wrote:In absolute I have been in this one seat that seems to win a lot and another seat that doesn't seem to win a lot. You may think with the dealer going around it doesn't make a difference. But you don't know what hands the site has setup for that seat.

They don't set it up!  A random number generator (RNG) shuffles the cards and sets the deal for each hand! Its RANDOM!!! Trust me you can win out of any seat!!!!!
Niiis1992
2 star member

Postby Niiis1992 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:31 am

bigboy4life wrote:In absolute I have been in this one seat that seems to win a lot and another seat that doesn't seem to win a lot. You may think with the dealer going around it doesn't make a difference. But you don't know what hands the site has setup for that seat.

If you think the hands are pre-determined, or "set up" then you are either very naive, or a complete moron. QUIT POKER NOW!! Wht the fcuk does AP care who sits where. They are as random as the rest of them.

You know, this forum might acually become something if all the 15 year olds and idiots got off it. Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.  :D
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:03 pm

Position is definitely an important concept, but it doesn't refer to the number of the seat you're in.  It's about how early or late you act on a given hand.
Ouls1982
2 star member

Postby Ouls1982 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:15 am

seat number does nothing.  The dealer button rotates around the table it doesnt stay in one seat.
Ouls1982
2 star member

Postby Ouls1982 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:16 am

seat number does nothing.  The dealer button rotates around the table it doesnt stay in one seat.
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:29 pm

I know that the button rotates and that seating shouldn't make a difference.  However, I have noticed in certain seats on some sites I win a lot of pots and in others on the same site I lose a lot of pots.  Random or not where you sit, and I know there are a lot of people who agree, does make a difference in certain sites.  

Even in Vegas, when in a tourney I love being in seat 2,4 and 9.  I make most of my money in those seats.

So agree, or disagree I stand by what I have seen and I have been playing for many many years.
Begglas
2 star member

Postby Begglas » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:35 pm

PokerPrincess and I have agreed to disagree about "lucky seats".   I don't believe in them.   But I do believe that if you BELIEVE a seat is lucky or unlucky that it can influence your attitude at the table and may lead to the expected outcome.

If you are squirming in your unlucky seat you might play less confidently and the lucky seat might give you confidence to play a bit more aggressively and take down a few extra pots.

I haven't got the long experience PokerPrincess has, but to me the lucky seats are to the left of the loose, aggressives and to the right of the calling stations.

Return to “How to play hand X”