what to do

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Dientiong
5 star member

What do you do?

Postby Dientiong » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:16 pm

It's Bubble Time with 18 people left.  The tourney started with 84, yet only the top 10 positions pay.  The tourney cost you $20+2.  Your seated in middle position, you have 4000 in chips, and the blinds are 300/600.

You have been dealt Ad Qd.
With no callers in front of you, you raise to 1200.
Everyone folds to the button, who pushes all-in with 4500.  The blinds fold it down.

What do you do?  

If you fold, you are left with 2800 and are the smallest stack in the tourney.  If you win, you are just about guaranteed a spot in the money if you play conservatively.
Niiis1992
2 star member

Postby Niiis1992 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:50 pm

Well, since I know what you did its hard to give advice. I told you then and I tell you now, I make the same call. You just got unlucky and ran into a huge hand, but you still had a glimmer of hope. AQ suited to me is a stronger hand than AK off suit. Dont sweat it.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:57 am

JoeDevil wrote:Well, since I know what you did its hard to give advice. I told you then and I tell you now, I make the same call. You just got unlucky and ran into a huge hand, but you still had a glimmer of hope. AQ suited to me is a stronger hand than AK off suit. Dont sweat it.

You're the one person that I was hoping wouldn't answer.  However, this probably still needs to be discussed regardless of what happened in this one specific instance.  

For example, should I have bet 1200?  If I wasn't going to be able to get away from the hand, shouldn't I have been all-in?  Should I have simply called the 600, and waited to see the flop?

BTW everyone:  Joe was at my table and cashed in for $200.
Niiis1992
2 star member

Postby Niiis1992 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:38 am

You probably still don't want me to respond, but I will. There is really nothing to do except raise all in  or fold. The guy was definately going to raise you if you simply called the 600. Face it, you were either putting all your chips in or folding(if you play to win). You had a good hand, he had a great hand. To me, you were in a no win situation. Say the guy simply limped. The flop didnt hit you, do you bet? If you do, you are going to get raised all in probably. So its either all in or fold pre-flop.
Ouseetteled
3 star member

Bubble time

Postby Ouseetteled » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:55 pm

At Bubble I like to raise even with garbage.  Other players playing tight will fold to make the cut. You then collect many small pots and grow your stack.  This will give you good position for the final table.
Chammat
5 star member

Postby Chammat » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:05 am

i think, this guy was bullying you, knowing you were a tight player and wanted to get paid, hoping he could steal your 1200, what was the chip leader holding?, but still its a tuff one, but i would have chucked it in,
Mystery36
5 star member

Postby Mystery36 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:35 pm

I dont know what happened but for me its all in.The bet you made probably represented that you would go all in anyway so I think your play was the correct one even though by the sounds of things it didnt work out.
Nowhimed
1 star member

what to do

Postby Nowhimed » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:36 am

I woule have called the 600 and taken the flop. I like to play a/q suited though. That hand seems to be luck for me

good luck
cydott
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:28 am

I'd be tempted to simplify this hand by pushing in the first place rather than raising.  It seems like someone did have a better hand, but that's not all that likely.  Winning the blinds isn't a bad result, I'm in okay shape if someone calls with a lower pocket pair, and in good shape if they do so with a weaker A or something like KQ thinking I'm stealing - which is semi-accurate.  

Given that you did raise and faced an all-in or fold, without any other information to go on, I'd lean toward the latter, although it's not a clear choice.  I could be dominated, but I think the odds are just as good that the opponent has hands like those I named and is trying to push me out.  I don't think I'm pot-committed; if I fold and then double up just once, I'm ahead of where I was at the start of this hand and where I'd have been if I won the blinds with the opening raise.

Return to “How to play hand X”