???

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Fairie
1 star member

Low pocket pairs (Article II)

Postby Fairie » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:53 pm

I seem to be hoping for a set each time. Is there a better way?

[Original title: low pkts?. The subject was changed so the article could be included in the Strategy Archive. - Note by danadolf]
Eyettle
1 star member

Postby Eyettle » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:00 am

Low pocket pairs you just have to limp in with. This is because if the flop comes A 2 K and you have pocket 2s then you probably have the best hand. You can make a lot of chips out of someone playing A J or one of those chip losing hands. But then again if you raise with pocket 2s and the flop comes 3 9 A you are screwed because there are three overcards. This is the same with pocket 3s and other low pocket pairs 9s and under.
Peons1993
1 star member

low pocket

Postby Peons1993 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:10 am

with low pockets you have to limp in.  generally people will raise with hands such as A 10 or better,  so therefore you need to watch when they have raised and how they have better after the cards are shown.  by doing so you may sneak in 2 pair while they just have a high card.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:36 am

It's not as simple as limping all the time.  There are times when it's usually better to fold them; e.g. in early or mid position with no action before you.  Other times, you may want to raise; e.g. on the button or in the SB with no action before you.  But as with many situations in poker, these are not absolutes either.
Offs1979
1 star member

my FAVORITES

Postby Offs1979 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:57 pm

Pocket 44s are my favorite.

Nothing better than hitting your little inoquous 4 when there is a KK
on the board, ith the K betting like mad; and taking it for a Full Boat.

The low Poket pairs tripping is something noone can predict; which is why they are so valuable.  

However; they are NOT WINNERS on their own.  So they have to be played cautiously.  I usually raise with them, if there is no raise ahead of me; but not too much.  If nothing hits on the flop; i treat them like i do if i hit a pair on the flop.  If the board pairs; there are less overcards for an opponant to hit, so a bet may be called for.  Two pair is a good hand.

However; if you have not hit a trip; and there is a lot of action; you can be pretty sure someone else has hit those over-cards.  Do not waste your bets trying for a river miricle.
Evench
1 star member

Postby Evench » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:02 pm

in early position ill fold low pockets, around the button ill limp.

later in the tourney ill sometimes raise with them and reraise ppl all in preflop as a steal, but also with a pair to fall back on if they call with AQ or high cards and dont hit.

I disagree with silkey. I dont think raising with them all the time is good. most likely you wont hit trips and your opponents will hit something, and you have to rely on a bluff . if the bluff doesnt work, or u end up just folding, both ways you've lost money. I dont know if its true but imo in the long run youll lose more money than you win
Aree1996
3 star member

low pockets

Postby Aree1996 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:38 am

that is all you should be looking for, hoping that 8 other people at your table don't hit a pair is very unrealistic haha, best thing to do is try to see a flop for cheap and hit ur set, and then your set!
Honte1990
3 star member

Postby Honte1990 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:49 pm

for me when i got low pockets  i always wait for the flop before i put big chips on the table that s a dangerous hand   u can win or loose  big
Sust1982
2 star member

Low

Postby Sust1982 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:35 pm

I like to play 3's and 6's as a big hand preflop. If I hit a set its highly unlikely to be put on such a hand.
Formserain
1 star member

Postby Formserain » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:01 pm

Phil Helmuth's newest books puts small pockets in perspective, that 22 through 66 are basically all worth the same, and they are almost useless if you dont hit trips.

I limp in, then if I dont hit trips, I usually fold.  If I do hit trips, I raise.
Weressid
2 star member

Postby Weressid » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Low pockets are the shizz only if you hit tho lol...If you dont hit you can count on that your pretty much gonna get pwned and shouldnt even be in the hand.  But if you do hit O MAN its a whole different story because u have everyone to your mercy and should be ready to take everyones money :)
Teare1970
1 star member

Postby Teare1970 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:08 pm

The way i play my low pockets is simple. I usually always like to see a flop and then i raise it no matter what appears. A medium raise 5X BB then if he reraises i fold. If he calls, play it aggressively. He's pobably chasing a flush or trying to hit an ace or king. Raise it up, you need to get him to reraise you or show some sort of confidence. You have to be careful too, don;t put in to many chips to commit you to the pot. Play it carefully, if you hit your set tho. Play it as aggressive as possible especially if there is an ace out there. That means you should check, get him to raise it then you reraise him and then raise it and let him call. Raise it again and let him call. Then go all in on the river depending on how the board looks. USe common sense. GL
Anowbod
1 star member

Postby Anowbod » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:41 pm

i usually limp in or call a small raise with low pockets. it just seems to risky to make a big bet
Comee1985
4 star member

Postby Comee1985 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 pm

depends on situation, but most common play that I would do, is limp in andhope for the best, maybe  I would call some kind of raise, and again hope for the best! With trips on the flop everything else comes natural!
Laire1982
1 star member

Low pp

Postby Laire1982 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:17 pm

I prefer to limp in most of the time if possible the reason is simple you have better chance of making more if you make your set because players will be less worried about your hand then if you had raised preflop.

Return to “How to play hand X”