Thanks

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Tank
5 star member

first hand

Postby Tank » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:42 am

Holdem nl i am too the right of the button sm blind calls bb checks next player calls rest of table folds except for the guy to my right, I raise 100 sb and bb both fold next player all in guy too my right all in, i have kk pockets i called guy to my right yep aa, the kicker is the player too my left 6 10 off and hit the straight.. would anyone have played it different?
Jdawg1142
5 star member

Postby Jdawg1142 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:17 am

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. im just thanking you for posting in this section. It is very hard to laydown kings i would have definatly called there and been a loser. but the 6 10 that had no right to be in there
Hatent1995
4 star member

Postby Hatent1995 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:45 pm

You had the 2nd best starting hand in hold em. The only thing you had to worry about was pocket aces, and unlucky for you someone had them. As for the other guy, if he called all in with 6-10 then he's just a bad player. In the long run you'll beat players like him, so don't sweat it, you want to be playing against idiots like that. I hate having all or most of my chips in preflop with more than one person because of crazy things like that happening, but since the 6-10 guy called after you, nothing you could do about it.
Fary1975
2 star member

Postby Fary1975 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:32 am

my strategy which has worked incredibly well in the past is NEVER RAISE PREFLOP.......u can never get screwed b/c if u have pocket aces noone folds and if yur going against pocket aces and u dont know it u wont lose yur money b/c most of the time an ace will come on flop and someone w aces will bet.......u couldnt really have been in a worse situation u shouldve limped in.......dont worry about the 6-10 guy there's lots of them out there....u gotta watch out for them they've turned my cards that are made of gold into dirt.......
Hatent1995
4 star member

Postby Hatent1995 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:38 am

philio11 wrote:my strategy which has worked incredibly well in the past is NEVER RAISE PREFLOP.......u can never get screwed b/c if u have pocket aces noone folds and if yur going against pocket aces and u dont know it u wont lose yur money b/c most of the time an ace will come on flop and someone w aces will bet.......u couldnt really have been in a worse situation u shouldve limped in.......dont worry about the 6-10 guy there's lots of them out there....u gotta watch out for them they've turned my cards that are made of gold into dirt.......

No offense bro, but never raising preflop??? I don't think that's very good advice.
ACE-magnet
5 star member

played well

Postby ACE-magnet » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:50 am

you played it right dude with aces is going NO where the 6/10 guy ....go back to hands history see if you can find his user name search him out make notes of his play and play with him as much as possibile haunt him youll have your $ back in no time. p.s ALWAYS raise pre flop with KK unless its early position and theres lots of raising going on ,then limp and RERAISE with KK! ACE
Tank
5 star member

Thanks

Postby Tank » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:47 pm

thanks for the feed back everybody. 2020 hindsight is a great thing... but it always helps to here what other people have to say....in retro... My hand was strong but I think "I will think" before going (all in) out of position again.....slow playing big hands has not worked for me some bozo always hit a flush or staight too kill me...time will tell and thanks again for the feedback
m60
Trythen
1 star member

Postby Trythen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:48 am

yeah dude u had to raise pre flop with that hand to get out the other crappy hands that could get lucky. but the 6/10 prolly doesnt even know how to play poker and just got realllllly lucky. u played as good as u could.
Dowentere
1 star member

Postby Dowentere » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:09 pm

happened to me only once b4. and i lost the same u did. I had to think it was the best hand. what are the odds he had aa. i guess thats poker tho.  This has happened i was short so i got dealt kk went all in not that short just a lil below average some guy calls with ace 6 off and catches an ace.
like people will go all in and call just because they have aces. I guess it happens tho and u gota live with it even tho it sucks. aw well
Mignate
1 star member

Postby Mignate » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:20 am

Same thing happened at a local bar tourney i was playing in,well...sorta just no 10-6guy.

I had J-J and limped in of couse on button with 5\10 still in hand for flop.Flop comes 2-6-10 ,rest of table checked so I bet about 4xthe big blind hoping maybe guy with pair of 10 thinks I'm trying to bluff the pot.Fist position after big reraises me almost half my stack so I proceed to go all in thinking i've trapped them.

When they call instsntly with a smile i know I'm in trouble and he turns over his KK turn was meaningless but river was a Jack so I was the lucky one on that hand.

The moral of the story is no matter how good your cards are if your going to spend all your money early on a hand be prepared for anything to happen because it can and will.

Although no I wouldn't have played that hand any different.If your always afraid someone else actually has AA then your never going to get very far.I think you should always bet big pairs preflop unless someone else is already betting big that hand .In that case i like to slow play them.
Mignate
1 star member

Postby Mignate » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:24 am

Oh ya i forgot to mention how much i hate JJ in the hole just to much that can beat you easily and way to hard on the heart when the community shows an over card :oops:
Alicibuse
1 star member

Postby Alicibuse » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:22 am

First hand, I almost always fold.  Esp if it's a freeroll.  I don't know if i'd fold KK, but I'd have a hard time calling allin with it.  

The problem with the first hand is, you don't have any previous knowledge of the other players at your table.  Also, in the first level, it's cheap to lose a BB and fold (not your situation, but if you were on the BB).  It's always better to stay in the game, than lose to a suck out
Laidearks
2 star member

Postby Laidearks » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:02 am

i dont think i wouldve called it any different, considering KK is the second best starting hand in poker, u knew u had at least one of the guys beat, prolly both, u just caught bad luck

Return to “How to play hand X”