Was he bluffing?

Which is the worst bad beat you've had?

Moderator: Moderator

Thencass
1 star member

Was he bluffing?

Postby Thencass » Tue May 23, 2006 1:32 am

Recently in a 10+1 NL Tournie the following situation arose. I pickedUp A-10 in late positionand raised to 800 (blinds were at 100/200) I got called in 2 places. The flopcomes down 10-9-6 with 2 of my suit. I doubted that anyone called my pre-flop bet with 7-9 so I assumed nobody had the straight. I bet the pot and both people called. The turn was a J, but still no flush. I bet the pot again and again they called. The river was 4 giving a board that read 10-8-6-J-4. I had second best pair with top kicker. Now the BB who was one of the callers an the only one to act before me betthe EXACT amount of chips I had left to the dollar. I thought along time and finally folded as did the player behind me. I was worried thathe had slowplayed a straight or had a J or possiblytwo pair like 10-J. He showed a 9-4. To say the least I was quite pissed I had folded the winning hand when I could have doubled up. Has it been the experience of anyone reading this post that when a player bets your exact amount of chips that they are bluffing. My thought now is that the reason he bet my exact amount even though the other guy in the pot had plenty of chips was because I was the only one showing aggression and wanted me out of the pot, but he didn't want to risk extra chips if the other guy called. Anyone ever have a similar experience andwas the guy bluffing?
Deace1973
3 star member

Postby Deace1973 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Sounds like ur opponent is one hell of a player. He read u as having an Ace so you at best had A 10 and the only way he could take down the pot was to get you to fold.

Had he bet all in or raised any other amount then you would have called but his psycology of betting ur exact stack caused you to second guess and fold.

I have seen it done b4 and also done it myself both with nothing and with the nuts so no way you can know..

8)

Return to “Bad Beat”