Omaha/8

Discussion about starting hands.

Moderator: Moderator

Hationizing
1 star member

Omaha/8

Postby Hationizing » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:32 pm

I have heard that a,2suited and a,3 suited are the best starting hands I was just wonderin why this is?
Seessishe
1 star member

Postby Seessishe » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:07 pm

omaha 8/b is a game where the high splits the pot with the low.  a2 and a3 suited provide you the best chances to get both the high and the low and scoop the pot.
Chammat
5 star member

Postby Chammat » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:51 pm

I DISAGREE THE BEST CHANCE IS HAVING E.G 3h Kh  2d Qd THERE U HAVE 2 HIGH CARDS 2 LOW CARDS SUITED I OFTEN FIND THOUGH HAVING A PAIR IN YOUR HAND MEANS TROUBLE YOU HIT TRIPS MORE OFTEN ON HOLD EM PLUS A A A A SEEMS LIKE A GOOD HAND APART FROM HAVING 4 OTHERS OF THE SAME VALUE ITS ACTUAL THE WORST!!!!
Wopmetuand
2 star member

Postby Wopmetuand » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:58 pm

kermit wrote:I DISAGREE THE BEST CHANCE IS HAVING E.G 3h Kh  2d Qd THERE U HAVE 2 HIGH CARDS 2 LOW CARDS SUITED I OFTEN FIND THOUGH HAVING A PAIR IN YOUR HAND MEANS TROUBLE YOU HIT TRIPS MORE OFTEN ON HOLD EM

I'm no expert, I'm pretty new to the game but here's how I see it.

The thing with AxAz double suited is that you have two possible nut flushes. And in Omaha very often there's a flush so when you have the flush, you better have the best one (ace high).

Sure, a Kx suited also gives you possibilites to get a good flush, but you'll worry that someone holds the ace if it's not on the board, and also, the ace gives you outs for both high and low, while the King only plays high.

The only potential problem I see with pairs is that you have one less rank in your hand so you get smaller possibilites for a straight (or one less possible set, but a set in Omaha using only one hole card is scary if you don't have another pair giving you a full house). But a pocket pair does give you possibilities for a Full house, and if your pair is aces that must mean if you do get a full house, it's a good one.

My experience is that with four hole cards, people get flushes and full house much more often than in Hold'em, and the risk of losing with a flush or a full house is pretty big if you're playing a bad flush or a bad full house, because someone else is likely to have a better one.

PLUS A A A A SEEMS LIKE A GOOD HAND APART FROM HAVING 4 OTHERS OF THE SAME VALUE ITS ACTUAL THE WORST!!!!

If you try to play Holdem when you play Omaha AAAA might look good but if you adjust to the rules of the game you realize it's not that good and you won't overrate a hand like that.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:56 pm

O/8 is a game of the nuts.  Both nut hi and nut lo are where you need to be.  That's why they say having double suited nut flush draws are the best.  Now, this discussion could go two ways since PL and FL demand tweaks to starting hands that can't really be described in a quick post.  Most of my success has been in FL, so I'll talk about that.

Okay, the first thing you need to know is that you should be playing for the best high or the best low hand.  In order to do this, you want to have four cards that work together and you can count cards 6-9 as garbage.  That being said, here are some very conservative starting hand requirements to get you going.

1:  Play any hand with A2.  
2:  Play any hand wih A3, as long as your Ace is suited up with another in your hand.
3:  Play any hand with four prime cards:  Prime cards being A-5.
4:  Play any hand with four cards that total 40 point or more:  ie, KKAQ, AKQT, AAJJ

That's it.  Pretty simple, huh?  Actually, this is how you should start.  Once you get a feel for the game, you can expand your horizons a little but these are excellent guidelines for a newbie looking to start up.

Tip 1:  Don't raise with the nut low only.  If you think you are the only one that stays with A2, you're sadly mistaken and you will be sharing half the pot.  The guy holding the high hand will love you for it.

Tip 2:  Pocket Rockets aren't that good.  I might go as far as to say they are mediocre.  This isn't hold'em, so get that into your head.  I love seeing people make comments like "I've had AA three times and haven't won one pot" because they are simply telling me that they don't understand the game.  Flushes and straights rule the day.

Tip 3:  Beware the full house.  If you see a full house possibility on the board, look out.  This is especially important when the board pairs up on flop.

Now, stay the heck away from my table.  You already know too much.
Catere79
1 star member

Postby Catere79 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:53 pm

heyy wat is considerded the best omaha hand before the flopp? ive heard aces with suited jack king but i dont realy believe this could you tell me what is? thanks
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:56 pm

Bucephalus wrote:heyy wat is considerded the best omaha hand before the flopp? ive heard aces with suited jack king but i dont realy believe this could you tell me what is? thanks

I think your hand mentioned above refers to Omaha hi.  As for best starting hand in O/8, that's debatable.  The best starting hand gives you a shot at scooping (taking high and low), so I'd say AA23 double suited.  The thing that people really have a hard time with is AAxx.  Because everyone usually starts off with hold'em, they overvalue AA.  Remember, AA is nothing but a high pair.  High pairs and even trips hold VERY little value unless you are heads up.

I hope this helps.
Pher1976
3 star member

Postby Pher1976 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:32 am

the best starting hands in omaha h/l are as follows......

AA23
AA2-x(x being any card in the deck)
AA3-x
A234
A23-x(wins a piece of the pot more than 40% of the time)
A2KK, A2QQ
A345
AA45, AA-x-x
A2QK, A2KJ, A2-x-x
A3KK

other strong hands:
A34-x
JQKA
10JQK
JQKK
9,10,JQ
234-x
also any four cards between 10 and A 10,QKA for example

(hand rankings taken from Phil Hellmuths "Play Poker Like the Pros")

Return to “Starting hands”