chip leader

Discussion about starting hands.

Moderator: Moderator

Clower
1 star member

being chip leader

Postby Clower » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:41 am

is it jus me ordoes n e 1 else in here hate to be chipp l
leader at the beginning of any tourney it seems like the pressures on and u lose chips more....... slowly but surely
Thessaw
1 star member

CHIP LEADER

Postby Thessaw » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:03 am

BEING THE CHIP IS LEADER CAN MAKE OR BREAK YOU....I SOMETIMES TAKE TO MANY CHANCES AS THE CHIP LEADER AND WIND UP BUSTING....I SHOULDS BE MORE TIGHT
Deace1973
3 star member

Postby Deace1973 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:03 pm

Give me chip lead position anytime, I personally think it takes the presure off.

OK Ill explain my reasoning

You have achieved the chip leader status in one of 3 ways ( or a combination of them)

1. Good play (tight aggressive making the most of your hands)

2. Poor opponents (loose aggressive players,call stations and fishermen)

3. Playing BINGO

There is a tendancy now and this is where a large amount of players blow it is they feel compelled to try to take everyone else out, calling bets with underdog hands or trying to bully the rest of the table ( thats fine if it is near the bubble, the blinds are worth stealing and you have a big enough chip stack to take some losses) but otherwise it is the wrong policy.

If you got your chip lead by

method 1 why change a winning stratagy?

method 2 the quality of opposition is going to improve so you are the one taking the risks

method 3 your luck wont hold forever.

Basically you have the chip lead it is time to continue or adopt a tight aggressive style, that way you have a good chance of winning every hand you play in, your opponents will respect your play ( giving you the chance to bluff a pot occasionally) and what is more likely you have enough chips for the stage when all you get dealt are rags which if you are calling everyhand will soon eat into your chip stack.

8)
Kentemad
1 star member

true

Postby Kentemad » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:36 pm

this is exactly rite I hate when that happens.its good to be middle of the pack.
Counto
1 star member

its a known fact every site

Postby Counto » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:20 pm

ive been chip leader in id say 80 percent of the tourneys i play but keep ing it is another thing. but one thing ive learned is that the hands will come if you wait for them..i fell like i need to play every hand but its not the case get the leed and leave for 10-15 mins then come back you maybe dont have the leed now but alot of people has dropped out and your still up in the top
Immakep
1 star member

Postby Immakep » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:55 pm

Bein chip leader is easy if u dont change the way you play...  the problem is most people become chip leader and start playin hands they wouldnt normally

u gotta remember how u got to bein a chip leader and continue
Untake
2 star member

Postby Untake » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:09 pm

I agree with dstullz. I don't change the way I play when I am chip leader like many others do. And as stated above many chip leaders either play too many hands or try and be a chip bully or call players allin's...that is how they lose their chips...they waste em!
Bours1966
2 star member

Postby Bours1966 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:16 pm

Once your chip leader I think its ok to get a little more loose with your playing style.  I generally play a tighter more conservative type of game.  However if I am the chip leader than I won't be afraid to play hands like J7 suited or 45 suited, etc...  That doesn't mean I will call raises with those hands though.  The least thing I try to do when I have the chip lead is to play stupid, I just stick to pretty much the same strategy throughout the tournament.  As the tournament goes on and if my chip stacks grows quite a bit than usually I will play more hands.
Yousbaged
2 star member

Postby Yousbaged » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:51 pm

moneymaker i must say (well said) I myself would have to say the same being chip leared or even close to leader I do play hands that otherwise I would not but if the chips start going down I just go back to playing tighter
Mortund1985
1 star member

Postby Mortund1985 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:33 pm

When you become the chip leader I think its ok loose with your playing style.  If you can limp in, and have decdnt position.  attempting to steal pots from time and again is cool some times.
Reak1974
3 star member

Postby Reak1974 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Chip leaders have an advantage of seeing more flops. And they seem to catch more often,, seeing they call more flops. But they can be an ATM at times. I have seen Big stack out in 3 hands !!!
Itive1982
3 star member

AP has ups and downs

Postby Itive1982 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:13 am

I find that being chip leader going into the final table, you never win. the chip leader always chokes and comes in like 5th or 4th after a few beats and then he goes on tilt.Thats my experience
Mespirst
3 star member

Postby Mespirst » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:52 am

:D  Hey MrJig.  Isn't that what we all want, starting off a trny?  To collect those chips as fast as possible and then have a playing advantage.  Others have told you to be a little looser when you are the big stack.  That's right, but, don't get carried away and call or raise anything.  One of the best facts I could give you is to be careful and not give your chips away to short stacks.  They relish the thought of you challenging them when they have a good hand and you don't.  There is more which I will save for another time.  Good Luck.    :lol:     :wink:
Begaind
2 star member

Postby Begaind » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:30 pm

hey,
It's not so bad being the chip leader in the beginning of the game.....
but I had the same problem with losing it real quick.
So now, I just play the really good hands and sit back and enjoy the game.
Mind you, it's not too often that I am the chip leader...lol  :wink:
Eavoldisely
1 star member

Postby Eavoldisely » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:54 pm

being the chip leader isnt a problem on ap when i play in tourneys ill lead all the way up until the final tbl when im playing at my best but the final tbl is another story ive only won 2 big tourneys and had the lead most of the time i usually place about 3rd which isnt bad i guess its better than not placing in the money at all neways....

Return to “Starting hands”