last night...

Questions & Answers. Did you play that hand right? Ask the other forum members.

Moderator: Moderator

Hishonce
1 star member

last night...

Postby Hishonce » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:36 pm

I played in a live game last night and lost big on one hand. I had a Q high flush but got beat with a full house. The bet was big and I was second. I don't know if I did the right thing by callin. (obviously not because I lost)... what would yall have done?
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:07 pm

Yet another "it depends".  How likely was it that you hand was second best?  What clues did you have from the play of the hand, and how strong or weak were the indications?  And don't forget that it didn't take a full house to beat you; there were higher flushes possible too.
Yousand
3 star member

Postby Yousand » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:28 am

[/quote]don't forget that it didn't take a full house to beat you; there were higher flushes possible too.[/quote]

Kev, I agree with Arjonius. Going only from teo indicators (size of the bet and the fact that a number of hands had you covered) you should have been thinking I am beat here.

Obviously that is easy for me to say in hindsight as I know he had a full house. The important thing about it is that you learn from it. If next week you play a live game again and come against a similar scenario what would you do?

Some of the best advice I have heard about poker is that unless you have the nuts you should always start off assuming you are behind. Then you do the math on your hand and take a judgement on your opponent based on his previous play and the way he has played this hand. In 95% of cases this should give you an answer to whether you could reasonably expect to be ahead or not. You may find that you throw away some winning hands doing this but in the long run it will be a profitably ploy.

Good Luck

8)

Return to “Q & A”