the worst "good hand"

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Sauty1976
2 star member

JJ (Article II)

Postby Sauty1976 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:52 pm

I have learned the 5 hands that I basically am inclined to move all in preflop. Chances are you have the best hand of any pocket pairs and if they have two overs, then you have a 50-50 chance to win.

[Original title: RE: JJ. The subject was changed so the article could be included in the Strategy Archive. - Note by danadolf]
Inquen
1 star member

jj

Postby Inquen » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:54 pm

man this hand sucks. i will not commit my whole stack to this hand. more times than not i get burned!! ill slow play this hand everytime, except head to head at the final table, maybe then.
Rupothe
1 star member

the worst "good hand"

Postby Rupothe » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:32 pm

JJ will burn you every time, i play it as all in or fold depending on wether I really think I will get a call. if I do than i fold it immediately, best to run others off with JJ
Viser1980
1 star member

Postby Viser1980 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:52 pm

In a tournament I may move allin with JJ but that is suicide in a ring game. Im more inclined to play it 5X BB to drop out A3 offs and that way can still fold it if one of 3 overs hit.
Hostall
1 star member

Postby Hostall » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:16 pm

I actually just had a discussion with my wife about this hand.  In tournament play, if I'm in early position or UTG, I'd raise 5-7 X the big blind.  If I'm in middle position and no one's raised yet and I have a decent sized stack, I'd go all in.  If someone's raised behind me, I'd think about maybe either calling or folding.  In a late position and an unraised pot, I think you go all in.  Now in ring games, I'd say a nice 5X the big blind is a good rule of thumb for this hand.  It will force out the drawing hands, and then you will at least know that who ever calls you probably has a good hand, and that is good info to know after the flop.
Laccires85
1 star member

Postby Laccires85 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:03 am

Never have cared for this hand (JJ), it is my worst enemy.  But yet, it is very easy to play.  I play this hand with fold equity in mind.  I like to play it in late position when I have already established a tight table image.   I play it with a 5x bb raise knowing if I get 1 or 2 callers and the board is reading AK or Q most likely one of the other players has got me beat and I can walk away from it.  I would never risk my whole stack on this hand unless I am severly short stacked though.
Mosely80
1 star member

Postby Mosely80 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:30 pm

I hate that hand. I always loose with it. Someone will get two pairs or higher pair than jacks. I get tricked when I see this hand because it looks so strong but I always end up loosing much chips with it.

Return to “How to play hand X”