Re: JJ (Article IV) - JJ and first to act

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Jamathand1990
1 star member

JJ (Article IV) - JJ and first to act

Postby Jamathand1990 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:27 pm

What do i do if I have JJ and I'm first to act Pre-Flop?

[Original title: JJ help. The subject was changed so the article could be included in the Strategy Archive. - Note by danadolf]
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Thu May 25, 2006 9:39 am

Like the saying goes, "There are three ways to play pocket Jacks.  All wrong."

In the situation you described, you have to play it carefully.  JJ is dangerous because they look better in your hand than they really are.  Susceptible to an overpair, you have be careful preflop...and even more careful postflop.  If 3 undercards hit the board on the flop, it seems reasonable to push.  However, with 3 cards all 10 - 2, that means you've got a straight possibility out there.  Also, if someone is playing A-rag, they may have hit the rag and now thingk they are ahead in the hand.  

Moral of the story:  Be careful.  It's a tough hand to play because it looks better than it really is.  If you don't trip up and there is an over-card on the board, be prepared to release the hand.

I hope this helps.
Comee1985
4 star member

Postby Comee1985 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:25 pm

I would call it, cause it still can be best hand, but it can be easily dominated, so I dont want to get in trouble with in out of position. Call, to see whats goin on, I would probably call some small raise, but not all in.
Bours1966
2 star member

Postby Bours1966 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:38 pm

Oops I didn't read the fact that you were to first to act, I originally voted move all in.  Now that I have read your situation than I think the right move is to just and maybe someone will raise than you can either move all-in or just call.  That really is a tough situation in that case.  If I was playing ultra-conservative, and I was short-stacked I may just fold that hand.  I know that sounds riddicilious but if the blinds are expensive than I probably won't call with 8 people ahead of me.
Suppris
1 star member

Postby Suppris » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:53 pm

You HAVE to raise with JJ... If you don't and on the flop it comes A, K or Q you are screwed (assuming no one else raises preflop)...  If you raise a small amount, it will allow someone with say KQ or even KJ to come in and see if they hit there K (or Q)...  A big raise will erase all hands but AK or TT and higher...  With this situation, you are left with really only hands that can beat you...  It's a tough hand to play, and in first position it could be argued that you fold it, as no matter what you do, you're wrong...

Dan
Mystery36
5 star member

Postby Mystery36 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:07 pm

I play Js like any small pair.I will never push all in in any position with them unless I am small stacked or playing a very tight table.
Eftees
2 star member

Postby Eftees » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:55 pm

w/ JJ if ur first to act i'd put up a big raise, make them think u have AK so the pocket 9s and 10s might call u, but if u get reraised all in by the chip leader or sum1 tht has u coverd id fold, they r good but not as good as QQ KK or AA
Theirthe
3 star member

Postby Theirthe » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:58 pm

Without a doubt you wouldn't go all in cause its a waste of a good hand. If someone is before you and raises you then you push. I think you should make a big raise preflop to get over cards like A Q and A K in the hand or smaller pocket pairs like 10s,9s,8s etc. It also depends how many people are at your table. If its only 3 handed you make a small raise with it but never go all in unless someone raises firsty or goes all in.
Bours1966
2 star member

Postby Bours1966 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:18 am

I would say you have to just call the hand, but this is a very tough hand to play, you will be knocked out of tournaments because of this hand, but yet you can take big pots off of this hand at the same time.  I think if you can just see a flop that might be the safe play.  If you want to raise and take a risk than go ahead but your risking your tournament life if you do that.
Hond1976
2 star member

Postby Hond1976 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:46 pm

I agree with Gary. I think this is the most overestimated hand in poker. You can only lose much rather than winning much. In early position, I will call but I might go all-in if I am short stacked.

Anyway, in early position with decent stack I call. You should know your opponents well and if someone who plays extremely tight I might fold if he raises too much. He probaly has AA, KK, QQ or AK

I have had a lot of trouble playing this hand but now I know how to play it and minimize my losses.
Warang
1 star member

JJ

Postby Warang » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:49 pm

I would always raise in this postion because you dont want to be playing with more than 3 hands otherwise your odds arent looking to good. If someone were to reraise you must make a crucial decision. This decision must be based on previous trends and tourny situation.
Weressid
2 star member

Re: JJ (Article IV) - JJ and first to act

Postby Weressid » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:38 pm

celtsoxpats wrote:What do i do if I have JJ and I'm first to act Pre-Flop?

[Original title: JJ help. The subject was changed so the article could be included in the Strategy Archive. - Note by danadolf]

small raise is usually your best bet
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:32 pm

What about just making a normal raise to 3x or 4xBB?  This is the action I'd take most often, although not all the time by any means.
Glesing
2 star member

Postby Glesing » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:21 pm

correct play is really to fold but i hate  folding jacks so i ussually do a normal size raise but if someone comes over the top of me ill fold them.

Return to “How to play hand X”