hard choice

How to play a specific hand. Remember to mention if the question concerns Hold'em/Ohama/Stud, Limit/No-Limit, Ring game/Tourney.

Moderator: Moderator

Vinal1969
1 star member

low amount of chips

Postby Vinal1969 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:40 pm

in your in a tourney that has 25 people left 18 get paid and your ranked 20th in chips. You are delt A Q suited and the person before you goes allin wiht almost triple the amount of chips as you. Would you call?

The Flop came K Q 9
Turn A
River was a 3. it turned out that he had pket Ks so i just placed out of the money.
Minimearts
2 star member

Postby Minimearts » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:50 am

That was a tough one. I probably would have done the same with A-Q suited. Bummer that you lost on it. :(
Comenclater
1 star member

Postby Comenclater » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:42 pm

I've done the same but it's not the smart ,ove that close to money, unless you are goining to be blinded out real soon..then go for it
Beheriseed
1 star member

Postby Beheriseed » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:20 pm

I was in a tourny where top 9 gets paid, and I had the 3rd most chips.  I was delt pocket rockets, and the chip leader went all in and i acually folded, cause I new I would make it to the final table and was really despetate for money.
Minimearts
2 star member

Postby Minimearts » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:36 pm

Master Nick wrote:I was in a tourny where top 9 gets paid, and I had the 3rd most chips.  I was delt pocket rockets, and the chip leader went all in and i acually folded, cause I new I would make it to the final table and was really despetate for money.

I cannot count the number of times that I have folded a decent hand just to make sure I made it into the money.  I am always checking the standings when it's very close to cashing in.  If I am within 5 of making money, and I am also sitting pretty good with my chip amount (compared to the bottom of the field) I will fold a LOT until I'm definitely in the money.  Then, I'll start playing aggresively after I know I have cashed.  

Too many times I've been the one just missing the money by 1 or two because I played what I thought was a good hand, only to be beaten by an idiot that goes all-in wiht 9-2os ... and catches miracle cards.   I'd rather be in the money than spend 3 hours playing just to miss cashing by one or two.    But ... that's just me ... a cash whore.   :D :D :D
Therec
1 star member

Postby Therec » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:55 am

That is a tough one, but so close to the money and low on chips.
I would have folded until I was in the money.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:06 pm

It depends.  As you can see in the other responses, there are players who would fold and look for other low stacks to bust out first, which does work fairly often.  On the other hand, if you win this hand, you'll be in a much better chip position, which means you'll have a better chance of cashing higher.  

For me, it depends on a combination of factors including but not limited to my mood at that moment, whether I have a read on the all-in player, how much the bottom prize amount is, etc.  This means I won't play the same way every time.
Dithemethen
1 star member

Postby Dithemethen » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:18 pm

I would fold probably fold the ace queen there and take my chances on a different hand. When play gets that close to thte money, generally people only raise with the three hands that have ace queen dominated, ACES, KINGS, and AK. It really depends on teh player who made the raise and everything though.
Plinted
1 star member

Postby Plinted » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:56 pm

If you have Pocket Rockets, don't fold... Anytthing else i can understand... but rocketS?????
Dowentere
1 star member

Postby Dowentere » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:46 pm

bullets or the rockets always always lose for me. I just don't know what i do wrong. one time i was so stupid so close to the money and got the rockets had like 80k the other guy was on big and had like 130k so preflop i raised to 30k now i'm down to 50k. Flop was like k 8 5 i go all in the guy calls he has 65. who calls an all in with 6 5. Before he called he stated watch out u shouldn't of done that. Sure enough on the river he catches a 6 catching 2 pair beating my AA. How did he know that i shouldn't of done that and who calls and all in with 6 5 when all the other cards on the board could have beat him?
Tencephad
1 star member

Postby Tencephad » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:31 am

In a short stack situation, I always prefer to be the one to raise all-in instead of calling my chips off.  However, your situation was a tough one. you're not sure if the guy was trying to push you out or not. I would have to base my decision on how the guy had been playing up to that point. If he had playing aggressive then I call. if not then I FOLD.
Porybouted
1 star member

Postby Porybouted » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:13 pm

all in
Repask
3 star member

low chips

Postby Repask » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:35 am

any good cards with low stack im all in before flop. let it ride
Pruchalk
3 star member

Postby Pruchalk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:50 am

A couple of questions about your situation. What were the blinds? And how much did you have? If you're less than 10X BB, then you need to be pushing regardless of the closeness to the money. Early in a tourney that's a good guideline. Much lower and you don't have a lot of fold equity.

The other question that I always hear is, are you playing to money or playing to win? My thought is that you have to be IN the money to win, but some will argue that you should be agressive even if that costs you a spot in the money. Of course, I think I also hear that sometimes (not always) by people who are making an excuse for their play when they get knocked out!
nrous
2 star member

Postby nrous » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:47 am

I would NEVER call ALL IN preflop with AQ suited, only the two big pairs, so I don't even wonder any question, of course I fold AQ suited. I would call an allin from a short stack, because I have good chances and I don't jeopardize all my money, but I 'd never go ALL IN myself.

Return to “How to play hand X”