yes

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Enuenated
3 star member

Choose less skillful opponents

Postby Enuenated » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:32 pm

...if you want to win money. Sounds fairly obvious, but you should play at betting limits where you can beat the majority of players. Move down in limits if you are having difficulties winning money. In poker, always leave your ego at the door.
Pruchalk
3 star member

Postby Pruchalk » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:31 pm

I agree...which is why I do NOT understand players who berate players of lesser ability for the way they play. Sure, it's generally following a hand where a lousy player sucked out one with good skills...but, for each suckout like that, the better player will win 9 other hands. If there is someone who is a much worse player than you...do you REALLY want their game to improve? I think I'd rather just keep taking their money...
Viser1980
1 star member

Postby Viser1980 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:48 pm

I disagree. Sometimes you have to give some to get some. By playing at lower limits your more likely to pick up bad habits and/or fail to improve your game. Where as playing against solid opponents you may half to walk away minus your pride and your stack sometimes but you are more likely to learn more here. Consider it as unwillingly paid school fees.
Oushe1971
1 star member

Postby Oushe1971 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:16 pm

I think you need to play your game regardless of the level of the other players. Sometimes when it gets down to only a few players left, regardless of their ability, they need to get some good cards to win. Sure, a highly skilled player may be able to get you to lay down a marginal hand but if you have a really solid hand no one can bluff you out of it.

rrocker
Shateriere
2 star member

Postby Shateriere » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:04 am

choosing weak opponents is key. if ever you are at a table and there is a blatant fish at the tbale look to see if there is a buddy list in the site you use and see if u cna store him in there. or write down the name - then player search them and always find them at the tbale they're at.
Waxyled2
1 star member

Postby Waxyled2 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:38 pm

Yeah also you cant lose as much money in one hand. And hopefully if you lose it all you will play even lower limits.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:45 pm

If you want to figure out which level to play at, it's very helpful if you keep records of what level you played, how long, how many tables and your profit or loss per session.  If you have that information, you'll know what the circumstances are where you make the most money per hour.
Sais1979
1 star member

Postby Sais1979 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:56 pm

Yeah playing at middle tables when you are a good player is a good way to earn good money easily
Whismily

Postby Whismily » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:40 pm

i wouldnt go up unless you're doing really well on the level you're at.
better to pick up a bad habit or 2 than to loose your bankroll.
you can lose those habits as easy as you got them later on.
Gagoem
4 star member

Postby Gagoem » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:34 am

Saxman wrote:I agree...which is why I do NOT understand players who berate players of lesser ability for the way they play. Sure, it's generally following a hand where a lousy player sucked out one with good skills...but, for each suckout like that, the better player will win 9 other hands. If there is someone who is a much worse player than you...do you REALLY want their game to improve? I think I'd rather just keep taking their money...

I couldn't agree more.  The last thing you want to do is "bite the hand that feeds you".  I realize these type of players may suckout on you and make horrible decisions, but over time, these are the exact type of players you want to be up against when the money's all-in.
Begroway
3 star member

Postby Begroway » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:29 pm

IUf you want to win it is always better to play against weaker players or players that are playing for different reasons. Some very good players sometimes play at the low limit players to quench their thirst for action where they can play poor starting hands and chase and it won't cost them much money.
Itive1982
3 star member

retards

Postby Itive1982 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:46 pm

I usually play fing games at absolute poker. What I have going....actually I started to make this just the other day.....was a list. I made a list of bad and easily beatable players that play ring games. I search them.....go to their table, and take their money.....<very easy to win. Try it some time.
Tionevilly
5 star member

Postby Tionevilly » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:26 am

In the ring i like to play lesser opponents, i take notes at 2 sites, pretty detailed. Tourneys i would almost rather play against good players, rids the game from every hand all-ins, and can improve your game. 1 of the most important things in poker is discipline, your game should not change much, no matter what level you are playing. If you pick up bad habits playing lower limits, you are already in trouble, for playing a way you normally would not. I almost dont mind anymore when people suckout, just encourages them to chase the next time. Play online enough and you have to become pretty much numb to bad beats, as they will occur often. But never tell a chaser hes a chaser. You want people to play that way, so dont discouraage it by telling them how bad they are.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:19 am

While I have made note of poor players, I don't find frequent need for this information at the levels I play.  There's no shortage of players who are willing to give away their money.   All I have to do - which is easier said than done - is play small pots until someone gives me a big one.
Lateny

Postby Lateny » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:33 pm

I play alot of SnG's and when it seems like things are just not going my way sometimes I drop a level in buyin and it's amazing what a couple quick wins will do for you to get back on track.    Also it seems to me that my winning % goes up the later at night I play.  Anyone else?

Return to “General strategy”