AK is GREAT

General strategy discussion.

Moderator: Moderator

Ouseetteled
3 star member

AK (Article II) - Monster Starting Hand or not?

Postby Ouseetteled » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:46 pm

I find that AK is highly overrated and overbet.  Many times I've been forced to call an all in bet when holding AK and as the pros say you should not fold it.  But;  many times I find myself losing to  a pocket pair or garabge cards that hit on the board.  I have tried changing my stragety lately with AK by just flat calling or a small raise.  My idea is to see a flop first before committing alot of my chips with AK.   I think that's a better way to go.  As for an allin bet;  not any more;  I'm gonna fold if it's pre-flop from now on.
Waht do you think?

[Original title: AK - Monster Starting Hand or NOT!!!. The subject was changed so the article could be included in the Strategy Archive. - Note by danadolf]
Thernand
3 star member

AK

Postby Thernand » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:41 am

I hate this hand now.. It is truely overated.. If you have the chips and a small stack calls an all in.. your a coin flip to take his low to med pockets. I try not to draw too much attention to it either as if you dont hit on the flop its not worth much. For some strange reason people push all in with it after the flop thinking its as good as aces.. easy chips if you ask me.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:59 pm

What people often get blinded with, is its false strength.  It represent top pair opportunity, high card, and nut straight draw.  However, it IS a drawing hand, and that's it.  When your back is against the wall, and you are short stacked, it makes sense to go all-in with AK.  However, putting your tourney life on the line for anything more than a draw simply makes no sense.
Niiis1992
2 star member

Postby Niiis1992 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:59 pm

Theres a reason why they call AK Anna Kornicova. It looks good but never wins. Sklansky talks about pushing hard with it. I also hate the hand. It is definately a drawing hand. But how many times has an A come on the flop, you push, and lose to A6 after the guy flops 2 pair. Its a very difficult hand to play.
Wilisting
2 star member

Postby Wilisting » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:18 pm

The hand only holds up about 33% of the time. I have also heard it said that in some point in a tourney you must win at least once with AK in order to win.

I actually like to limp in with it and if i dont catch I throw it away especially early on in a tourney. I have folded the hand many a time in the later stages of a tourney facing raises and or all ins. Usually it is the right decision as it fails to catch.
Pruchalk
3 star member

Postby Pruchalk » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:57 am

What I do like is when I'm against someone with AK, and they refuse to let go of it, even when they haven't caught anything to go with it.

That being said, I really hate having to play the hand. It's been kicking my ass lately.

I have discovered a simple rule, though. If I have AK, it's worthless. If my opponent has it, it's golden.
Orneved
5 star member

Re: AK

Postby Orneved » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:59 am

[quote="dmode44"]I hate this hand now.. It is truely overated.. If you have the chips and a small stack calls an all in.. your a coin flip to take his low to med pockets. I try not to draw too much attention to it either as if you dont hit on the flop its not worth much. For some strange reason people push all in with it after the flop thinking its as good as aces.. easy chips if you ask me.[/quote]

a k has not been a good hand for me especially when i am all in

eric aka dickens
Thernand
3 star member

Yup

Postby Thernand » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:10 am

I still stand by what I said, In fact im going to take the advice of one of the members here and start limping with it.. when I raise and get a caller.. If I dont hit and get raised I find it hard to toss. The odd time Ill bet with it and get a reaction, But if Im re-raised odds are I fold. ATourny I played last week, 4 losses with AK! Thanks God the trips started up for me and I went far.
Orneved
5 star member

Re: Yup

Postby Orneved » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:53 am

[quote="dmode44"]I still stand by what I said, In fact im going to take the advice of one of the members here and start limping with it.. when I raise and get a caller.. If I dont hit and get raised I find it hard to toss. The odd time Ill bet with it and get a reaction, But if Im re-raised odds are I fold. ATourny I played last week, 4 losses with AK! Thanks God the trips started up for me and I went far.[/quote]

i was short stakced with AK again with close to the money at betfred and lost to 2 7 suited,   that bites

eric
Sade1973
3 star member

Postby Sade1973 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:49 am

yes it is a monster hand but not a real sure winner.
Exas1995
2 star member

Re: AK Monster Starting Hand or NOT!!!

Postby Exas1995 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:30 pm

POKERSTER9 wrote:I find that AK is highly overrated and overbet.  Many times I've been forced to call an all in bet when holding AK and as the pros say you should not fold it.  But;  many times I find myself losing to  a pocket pair or garabge cards that hit on the board.  I have tried changing my stragety lately with AK by just flat calling or a small raise.  My idea is to see a flop first before committing alot of my chips with AK.   I think that's a better way to go.  As for an allin bet;  not any more;  I'm gonna fold if it's pre-flop from now on.
Waht do you think?

early in the game when all the cowboys are still around FOLD. later on if the "allin" mean someone else is all in move in for the kill
Alicibuse
1 star member

Postby Alicibuse » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:33 pm

AK is only 50/50 against a pocket pair, and 66/33 against any non ace or king hand.  As already stated, it's a complete draw hand.  No one expects to take down a pot with Ace high.  Jack/Ten suited has more outs to win preflop.  Don't marry this hand, or any other hand.
Wittionfer2
1 star member

Postby Wittionfer2 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:30 pm

AK is overrated a small pp can beat it anything can. if you have 10 9 its basically a coin flip in any situation unless some one is holding pket Ks or AS then your likley to lose just my take on it
Disper
2 star member

Postby Disper » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:17 pm

I agree that AK is way over-rated.  I myself hate to see that hand and will only "call" a bet and never never never go all in pre-flop with it.  9 times out of 10 they have been a losing hand for me and usually to a small pp 8 or 9 as 8s and 9s seem to flop more often than not.
Mignate
1 star member

Postby Mignate » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:31 am

i also think AK is overrated but it is the posibilities it has that keep me playin' it whenever i can(though i find sometimes that hand plays me :oops: )

Return to “General strategy”