freerolls, or play money?

New to poker? This is the place to get the hang of it.

Moderator: Moderator

Begaind
2 star member

freerolls, or play money?

Postby Begaind » Fri May 12, 2006 8:06 am

I realize people have different ideas on how to learn how to play but, maybe I could learn from both types of games? Maybe pickup on how differently people play when the money doesn't matter?
But, there must be a big difference when they're playing for real money?
Comee1985
4 star member

Postby Comee1985 » Wed May 17, 2006 11:41 am

I would always play freeroll. IF you survive first break, or even better 2nd break, you can play some poker then. Still it isnt like you put your money in the pot, but when you have chance to make some its 10 times better then the play money. There is really nothing to learn!
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:12 pm

IMO there's a bigger difference - although still not huge - between the play in freerolls and small buyins than between play money and freerolls.  If you hope to become a good player, you have to eventually get enough confidence in your game that you're willing to play buyins.
Dientiong
5 star member

Postby Dientiong » Wed May 24, 2006 3:46 pm

I just have little to no faith in play money tables as a learning tool beyond the absolute basics of game understanding (how blinds work, etc.).  Unless, of course, you can find some sort of private league that plays often enough and keeps track of performance.  I'd focus on freerolls and take that money to the single table SNGs.  As long as its not your money, and you are focusing on improving your game, put those winnings to good use.  I know a lot of players that started as freerollers and are now internet monsters with big bankrolls.  Takes time and a lot of practice, but you can do it.

Good luck.
Pred1984
4 star member

Postby Pred1984 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:01 pm

I'd definitely agree with gmroz that there's no real point to playing play money poker.  The only thing you can learn is the mechanics, which you can learn by playing freerolls where you have at least some chance to win a few bucks, even as a complete newbie.
Begglas
2 star member

Postby Begglas » Fri May 26, 2006 6:21 pm

The only reason to play at the play money tables is for fun.   If you are planning to learn to play the game seriously, you can start with freerolls.   Pick smaller sites where there aren't so many entrants.   You will get more out of the game if you aren't up against a bunch of people going all in to try and wade through 5-10,000 others.

And the freeroll leagues are a great way to do this, because the number of entrants is limited to the membership of the forum.

Support the forum you play at by downloading the sites using their links.   When you are ready to make your first deposit,  a percent will come back to the forum to help cover the costs.

Good luck and hope to see you at the tables.

Return to “Beginner's Q & A”